twisting wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstrang

I was tought to allways twist my wires together befor putting on a wire nut. Is there a code saying such?

Not that I'm aware of, just install your wire nut so that no wire will fall out if you pull on each of them individually. If you feel unsure of the hold twisting is always nice, but I've seen wires slide out even when twisted.

Cold Fusion

I have not been twisting for over 40 years and I'm not starting:grin:

50 years ago I was twisting - but quit after I sprained an ankle:roll:

cf

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Not that I'm aware of, just install your wire nut so that no wire will fall out if you pull on each of them individually. If you feel unsure of the hold twisting is always nice, but I've seen wires slide out even when twisted.

I agree. I used to not twist, but after doing service work for awhile I became a twister.

kornbln

I don't like to rely on the wirenut to make the twist. I think of it as more of just an insulator.

However, I will sometimes use a wirenut to get a bunch of wires started, say 4 or more. The wirenut can grab a bunch of wires in more of a circular shape than linemans can. After the twist gets started I take the nut off and finish the twist with linemans.

kornbln

I love how people can totally ignore the directions and feel they did a better job because of it. :grin:

Huh? The directions say that pre-twisting isnt required, but that doesn't mean that pre-twisting doesn't provide a superior twist. Whether it makes a difference electrically I don't know, but mechanically it's superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.