Two Conductor sizing question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace18

Hello guys, I work in the HVAC/R field. I'm not an electrician, but I deal with wiring and electricity every day. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but i would really like to cear up the confusion for myself.

1. What is considered a "Non-continuous" load?

2. "NEC 440.32 SINGLE MOTOR-COMPRESSOR: Branch-circuit conductors supplying a single motor-compressor shall have an ampacity not less than 125% of the motor-compressor rated-load current."

My question:

The internal overload on these compressors trip at 156% of the rated-load current. The wire is only sized to handle 125% of the rated-load current. So if the motor locks up, it will pull 31% more current than the wire is rated for before tripping the overload. Is the wire still protected in this situation? Or is the amount of time it takes to trip the overload small enough to not have an effect on the wire?

dbaird

1. I would think a "Non-continuous" load would be an intermittent load that is interrupted periodically but I could find no formal published definition.

2. If in doubt, there is no reason you can't make your conductors large enough to handle the "156% of the rated-load current".

GaTech04

A Continuous Load is a load where the maximum current is expected to continue for 3 hours or more. (per article 100).

Status
Not open for further replies.