two EGC in the same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
If I run in the same conduit one circuit from a panelboard which is fed from K rating transformer together with others circuits that coming from another source of power, is necessary to pull one egc for the circuit coming from the K rating transformer and another egc for the others circuits?
any commentary would be helpful
thanks in advance

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If I run in the same conduit one circuit from a panelboard which is fed from K rating transformer together with others circuits that coming from another source of power, is necessary to pull one egc for the circuit coming from the K rating transformer and another egc for the others circuits?
any commentary would be helpful
thanks in advance
I don't believe it makes any difference whether it's a k-rated transformer or not. There's not even a requirement to pull any kind of wire type EGC if you're using a metallic raceway like EMT or Ridgid conduit.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
that I was thinking is because the use of K rating transformer instead of the use isolated wire type EGC, but if K rating transformer don't make any difference then I'm going to pull only one EGC sizing according to the highest circuit ocpd in the conduit. Thanks for the response and clarify this question.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
that I was thinking is because the use of K rating transformer instead of the use isolated wire type EGC, but if K rating transformer don't make any difference then I'm going to pull only one EGC sizing according to the highest circuit ocpd in the conduit. Thanks for the response and clarify this question.
Unless there is a specification for separate EGC's the K rated transformer has no bearing on whether or not you install a single EGC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But you have to make sure that it extends back to both sources of power on the supply end. You can't use a single EGC that originates at one source for the fault return path for both sources.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
so that means both EGC have to splices together in one junction box and from there run only one in the conduit?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
so that means both EGC have to splices together in one junction box and from there run only one in the conduit?
You can run as many EGCs in the conduit as you want. I don't believe there is a general requirement that you splice the EGC's together, although certain cases I believe there is. Off the top of my head I forget what the rule is. Might be if there's other splices in The box you have to splice the Egcs together. No doubt someone will pop up with the correct answer.

marcosgue

Occupation
Electrician
splices all the EGC that going into the junction box is common practice, but the point is what about if the conduit contains circuits that come from different source of power with one EGC and how to accomplish with the observation in post #6

Status
Not open for further replies.