Two GFI's at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiddMartin

I've gotten a call that HO didn't have any power to their GFI in the bathroom or kitchen. And they push the reset button and it doesn't reset. (they have little window lamps plugged in and that is how they know there is no power to GFI)

- actually, the bulb was burned out and when they put in the new one (or several new ones) they never screwed it down the whole way. Also, the GFI didn't reset b/c it wasn't tripped.

- same w/ kitchen GFI, ie.. wasn't tripped

ohm

the thing is, how often does lighting strike, compared to some HO using the so called 'dedicated freezer receptacle' for work in the garage and getting shocked. I was told this was the main reason that they expanded the gfci. Also if electronic/gfci type equipment always get hit during lighting wouldnt that mean that the GEC should be better to lower the resistance? Correct me please if im wrong.

If you happen to work in "tornado alley" there is lightning every summer afternoon and it won't take too many freezer loads of bad food before your insurance company gets mad. I don't know if the NEC had a lot of people getting shocked by unplugging their freezers (simplex receptacle) to use an extension cord or they just thought it was dangerous.

Maybe a non-standard twist-lok plug & receptacle is the answer, where a common extension cord wouldn't fit.

As far as trying to predict how a lightning hit will behave or how to protect yourself from it: yes, a better grounding system would help. So would air terminals, TVSS etc. but IMO things would have to get real bad before a homeowner would pay for them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
brother said:
Also if electronic/gfci type equipment always get hit during lighting wouldnt that mean that the GEC should be better to lower the resistance? Correct me please if im wrong.
A better grounding electrode will not make any difference if there is a lightning induced surge on the system. A grounding electrode system does nothing to limit a high voltage spike or surge on the ungrounded conductor. Because of the larger number of code mandated electronic safety devices(AFCIs and GFCIs) in dwelling units, I would expect that the next code cycle will require whole house surge protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.