Two Panels,One Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

svaurez

A junction box contains two home runs from two different panels.The wires are then combined into a single pipe run.Can the equipment grounding conductors be spliced together in the first box or do two seperate grounds have to be run.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Two Panels,One Ground

I don't see any problem with this procedure. As long as the two panels are from the same service.

There may be a problem if the panels are two services.

gwz2

I agree with Bennie on other than multiwire circuits.

The grounding conductors with a multiwire circuit is not addressed in 210.4(A) which in part states "- - -. All conductors shall originate from the same panelboard."
Whereas 300.3(B) requires all conductors of a Circuit to be in the group including the grounding conductor.

I am not sure if there would be a problem with multiwire ciruits of two different panelboards sharing the same grounding conductor provided the grounding conductor is sized per 250.122 for the OCPD of the highest amperage Branch Circuit.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

If either panel board is taken off line for maintenance the neutral current of the other panels circuit will impose a voltage on the neutral bar of the idled panel board. That will be the same as the voltage drop on the other neutral. If the neutral of either circuit were to become open the neutral of the intact circuit would have to carry both neutral currents and could be overloaded.
--
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.