Two Position Meter Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I've got a two position meter socket on a house feeding one panel in the basement and one panel upstairs. There are no tenant mains on the meter stack and the service entrance conductors run on the exterior of the house to each panel. Can I run my GEC from the water pipe to the meter section and still run three service entrance conductors to each panel or do I have to go to a four wire feeder since the GEC is tied to the grounded conductor at the meter section? My thinking is that I can still run the three conductor to the panels since there is no disconnecting means in the meter section. Then I would install my main bonding jumper from the neutral bar to the load center enclosure as normal at each panel location. Am I on the right track here?

hillbilly

m73214 said:
I've got a two position meter socket on a house feeding one panel in the basement and one panel upstairs. There are no tenant mains on the meter stack and the service entrance conductors run on the exterior of the house to each panel. Can I run my GEC from the water pipe to the meter section and still run three service entrance conductors to each panel or do I have to go to a four wire feeder since the GEC is tied to the grounded conductor at the meter section? My thinking is that I can still run the three conductor to the panels since there is no disconnecting means in the meter section. Then I would install my main bonding jumper from the neutral bar to the load center enclosure as normal at each panel location. Am I on the right track here?

If this installation is for a multi-family dwelling, (which it sounds like it is) 230.40 Exception No.4 allows it. Pay attention to 210.25

If this is a single family dwelling...then.... 230.4 says No.
The (2) Main disconnects will have to be grouped together.
This would require 4 wire feeders from the mains to the sub-panels

How far do the SE conductors travel inside the house before they hit the Main? 230.70(A)(1)

The Main Bonding Jumper(s) is installed at the first Service Disconnect(s) (Main), wherever it is.
The GEC can be attached to the Meter Base or the Grounding Bar in the Main Panel.....any accessible point on the Grounded Service Conductor....your choice...around here anyway.
Your POCO may not allow the GEC to be connected in the Meter Base.

Just my opinion
Hope it helps
steve

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
If this installation is for a multi-family dwelling, (which it sounds like it is) 230.40 Exception No.4 allows it. Pay attention to 210.25
Yes, multi family so we are OK there.

If this is a single family dwelling...then.... 230.4 says No.
The (2) Main disconnects will have to be grouped together.
This would require 4 wire feeders from the mains to the sub-panels

How far do the SE conductors travel inside the house before they hit the Main? 230.70(A)(1)
< than 8' which is the rule around here.

The Main Bonding Jumper(s) is installed at the first Service Disconnect(s) (Main), wherever it is.
The GEC can be attached to the Meter Base or the Grounding Bar in the Main Panel.....any accessible point on the Grounded Service Conductor....your choice...around here anyway.
Your POCO may not allow the GEC to be connected in the Meter Base.

Since one panel is upstairs and one is downstairs, it would be a major pain to get the GEC to both locations which is why I'd like to do my connection at the meter location. This meter pak has the utility connection in the middle and a meter on each side so I'm sure I'd be OK landing the GEC in the middle section which would not be in conflict with the meter sections. I just wasn't sure if I could still run three SE conductors to the panels in this scenario. I assume the fact that there is no disconnect at the meter location is what would allow me to do this......

[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.