two prong outlets and computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

whofrankw

I need to change out two prong outlets for a computer system(residential) for a customer who wants grounded outlets. I haven't looked at the wire yet to see if there is a ground. I'm gonna assume its bx wire and metal boxes but you never know. Would a gfci take care of the problem or not even try to use a gfci in case of a nuisance trip.

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI will provide some relief when it comes to electric shock protection, you still won't have an EGC. If you have surge protection devices you still have no "drain" if you have no EGC. Most modern computer equipment isn't all that sensitive to no ground issues when it comes to operation/data error perspective. My notebook computer doesn't even have a EGC on the power supply cord.

JFletcher

I'd use a GFCI receptacle and a power strip/surge protector that works even w/o a ground wire. I doubt the computer would nuissance trip the GFCI. The existing box may not have the space for a GFCI.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd use a GFCI receptacle and a power strip/surge protector that works even w/o a ground wire. I doubt the computer would nuissance trip the GFCI. The existing box may not have the space for a GFCI.
Protection between all three supply conductors is the best protection. If you don't have an EGC but still have protection between all three conductors, wouldn't that possibly put at least some of the transient voltage (when it occurs) on all non current carrying "grounded" components of everything connected to the EGC in that power strip/surge protector? Part of the idea of surge protection is to divert any current that is trying to get to ground to "ground", the neutral is grounded, but has more impedance if it already has a load on it then the EGC has with no load on it.

whofrankw

thanks for the replies! im really hoping i can just put a regular outlet in. gfci scares me on the computer because once in a while a new gfi goes bad and i dont want to be blamed for loss info/files

The question is whether the customer wants grounded outlets because the computers have grounded cords, for lightning or surge protection(?), to avoid the illusive computer glitch, or because his brother said so. For most of those, they're probably better off with a whole-house SPD.

If they're using a laptop, it probably has an un-grounded power supply anyway.

kwired

Electron manager
thanks for the replies! im really hoping i can just put a regular outlet in. gfci scares me on the computer because once in a while a new gfi goes bad and i dont want to be blamed for loss info/files
You are looking for a way to cheat, there is always potential consequences when doing so.

NEC doesn't permit non grounding receptacles with grounding receptacles where there is no EGC present, but does allow so in certain conditions if using GFCI protection - that is to help minimize risk of electric shock to the users, bottom line is it still does not provide any equipment grounding.

user 100

You are looking for a way to cheat, there is always potential consequences when doing so.

NEC doesn't permit non grounding receptacles with grounding receptacles where there is no EGC present, but does allow so in certain conditions if using GFCI protection - that is to help minimize risk of electric shock to the users, bottom line is it still does not provide any equipment grounding.

And depending on the op's code cycle, the receptacle may also require AFCI and TR from 406.4(D), so a combo afci/gfci tr receptacle may be what he needs to be technically legal.

He could also run a new circuit entirely or he could just run a separate egc to the location per 250.130(C), and at least be able to skip the gfci he seems to be so worried about. The other requirements-afci and tr, would still technically be needed if he is under unamennded 2014 or later......

JFletcher

Then recommend a UPS. GFCI are not 100%, neither is utility power. Even a UPS is worthless if the computer user steps away for an hour and doesnt back up the files before the battery bites it, but if loss of files is the customer's #1 concern, he'd be a fool to not have a UPS.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
UPS units for commercial use or high end residential use have a mechanism for notifying the connected computer that normal power is gone and also when the UPS battery is nearing the shutdown point.
This allows for an orderly file closing and shutdown before the UPS runs out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.