Two Remote Ground Electrodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

Greetings,

I am feeding a remote lighting pole from and a circuit breaker panel board. I have two ground rods one at the panel board and one by the lighting pole. Per NEC the ground electrodes must be bonded. I am using 2/C#10 and #10 GND to feed the lighting pole. Do I need to run #8 GND conductor to tie the ground electrodes or can I use the #10 equipment ground conductor to bond two ground electrodes.

Thanks in advance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you have a lightning protection electrode at the pole it is required to be connected to the electrode(s) at the panel. Question is what size conductor is required and can the EGC be used to connect the two together? Yes the ground rod at the pole is not required but that isn't the question. :)

250.106 Lightning Protection Systems. The lightning protection system ground terminals shall be bonded to the building or structure grounding electrode system.

Since you have a lightning protection electrode at the pole it is required to be connected to the electrode(s) at the panel. Question is what size conductor is required and can the EGC be used to connect the two together? Yes the ground rod at the pole is not required but that isn't the question. :)
Hmmmm, interesting perspective. What makes the electrode at the pole a "lightning protection electrode"? Also it seems they are talking about the bonding the lightning protection electrode to the structure electrode - the pole - not back to the serving building electrode.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hmmmm, interesting perspective. What makes the electrode at the pole a "lightning protection electrode"? Also it seems they are talking about the bonding the lightning protection electrode to the structure electrode - the pole - not back to the serving building electrode.
The way I'm reading the OP there is no "structure" electrode at the pole and with a single circuit one is not required. That leaves a ground rod for lightning protection at the pole or can we call it an auxiliary electrode? Come to think of it there seems to be no lightning protection system at the pole.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
True, just being a metal pole (assuming it’s metal) would not make it a “lightning protection electrode”, unless it does have one mounted on top?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
At 800 feet, it's clearly not the same structure.

If there's an issue, disconnect the wire to the rod.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
True, just being a metal pole (assuming it’s metal) would not make it a “lightning protection electrode”, unless it does have one mounted on top?
I'm just trying to decipher what the rod is actually doing at the pole. If it's part of some sort of lightning protection then that would mean that 250.106 applies. If it is not part of a system then just bond it to the pole and go home. (y)

Electriman

N
No. I am not using the ground rod for lightening protection. It is for grounding purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.