Two services sharing the same ground rods .

Status
Not open for further replies.

George am&g

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Two separate feeds dropped into two separate panels with there own meters side by side one panel at 200amp and the second panel being 100amp i grounded the 200 amp panel with #4 armor ground to two ground rods bonded to the the front main water line and a separate #6 armor ground for the 100 amp panel can i use the same ground rods i used for my grounding of the 200amp or do i need another set of ground rods for my 100amp and also bond to the front main water line on a residential lot with two homes in California

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yes, one set of groundrods with the #4 armor is fine, as a matter of fact a all grounding electrodes that are present at each 'structure' need to be bonded together per 250.50.
Efectively each building or structure only has one grounding electrode system
The water pipe bond sounds small, it needs to be sized based on both service risers (250.66) and likely needs to be a #2.

All the grounding electrode conductors need to land on a single location (250.64), like the neutral bar in the 200A service:
So keep your #4 armored in there.
Run a #6 from there to your 100A service.
And land the properly sized water pipe bond there.(See also 250.104)

Two separate feeds dropped into two separate panels with there own meters side by side one panel at 200amp and the second panel being 100amp i grounded the 200 amp panel with #4 armor ground to two ground rods bonded to the the front main water line and a separate #6 armor ground for the 100 amp panel can i use the same ground rods i used for my grounding of the 200amp or do i need another set of ground rods for my 100amp and also bond to the front main water line on a residential lot with two homes in California
I would like some more details on the property and building layout and service details. It is not very clear to me what is going on. Is this indeed two services or two sets of service entrance conductors. Is the meter serving one building mounted on another building?

Status
Not open for further replies.