TX Master Exam - Conductor Temp. Ratings

Yelraf

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi all!
This is my first time posting on here and I'm desperate for some guidance on the masters exam in the state of Texas. I've taken the test twice now and have passed the knowledge portion but have failed the calculation portion both times (missed it by 1 point last attempt). For those unaware in Texas the masters exam is split into 2 sections, calculations & knowledge, if you pass 1 portion you don't have to retake that portion.

On both attempts I've done fairly poor on motors and generators, and transformers. For calculations when it is asking me to calculate a conductor size, OCD protection or bonding jumpers, etc. MOST of the questions don't give me any key information on what column to use in table 310.16, every now and then one will list the specific wire insulation, but most of the questions just give you the FLA/FLC, voltages, kVA etc. so I'm just having to play a guessing game of what temperature column I am supposed to be defaulting to.

Does anyone have any idea what column is the "default" temperature column or how I should work the questions where it doesn't give specifics on insulation type? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Many of the tests I have taken give you a default termination of 75°, however, some do not and expect you to keep 110,.14 in mind where, unless otherwise allowed, circuits less than 100 amp are to be terminated at the 60° rating

(ooppps posted on top of roger...but we both caution you to be familiar with 110.14(C) )

Yelraf

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Many of the tests I have taken give you a default termination of 75°, however, some do not and expect you to keep 110,.14 in mind where, unless otherwise allowed, circuits less than 100 amp are to be terminated at the 60° rating

(ooppps posted on top of roger...but we both caution you to be familiar with 110.14(C) )
Read all of 110.14, it may be what you're looking for.
Thanks for this info, I passed my masters exam today! This seriously helped me out re-reading that entire section and applying it to the questions that weren't clear on temp. ratings.