Type SC cable . Using on a test stand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Have a old hydraulic test stand we are going to rebuild and add a VFD to . This VFD will drive two 75hp motors on it . Due to limited space in the main controller cabinet I really need flexibility with the 480v power feed . I was going to look at using type SC cable to do this . Besides SC being listed for temp power any reason I shouldn't use it for this ? Not permanent part of the building power just a feed maybe 25 ft from disconnect to test stand ...

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Have a old hydraulic test stand we are going to rebuild and add a VFD to . This VFD will drive two 75hp motors on it . Due to limited space in the main controller cabinet I really need flexibility with the 480v power feed . I was going to look at using type SC cable to do this . Besides SC being listed for temp power any reason I shouldn't use it for this ? Not permanent part of the building power just a feed maybe 25 ft from disconnect to test stand ...

Is this a temporary power installation that will be removed after a test?
If not, how is this not part of permanent building power?
What are you using for raceway/support for the 25 feet of cable between the disconnect and the test stand?

I've never used SC, most of my experience is with G or W for temporary, or DLO (also rated RHH or RHW) where a permanent installation requires flexibility.

If it is temporary, follow NEC 590. SC is okay.

If not - SC is not okay.

the worm

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Cable would be in conduit ..

You will be miserable if you try to pull Type SC cable through conduit. The rubber jacket is "sticky" like the jacket of SO cable, and will be almost impossible to pull, even short distances.

The only way I've ever had luck with pulling those typea of cable into conduit is to use baby powder as pulling lubricant. "Pig Snot" wire lube doesn't work. Put your conductors in a garbage bag with about half a bottle of baby powder and shake-n-bake. Adding some more baby powder to the conduit with a turkey baster helps too.

Wire ferrules help with the "fine strand" issue. Use them at the termination lugs to make the wire behave almost like a solid conductor of the same gauge.

https://www.mcmaster.com/wire-ferrules

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.