Type USE cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckpridgen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I ran a feeder to supply a detached garage. Since part of the run is underground, I ran USE cable. Part of the run is in the crawl space fastened to the joists. I see no problem with this as the USE cable, even though no outer covering, has excellent abrasion resistance and is built to withstand direct burial conditions. It seems this is uncommon and maybe not specifically addressed in the NEC. Thoughts ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Violation of a number fo Code Articles including 310.10 and 338.12

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Specifically this:

338.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(B) Underground Service-Entrance Cable. Underground service-entrance cable (USE) shall not be used under the
following conditions or in the following locations:
(1) For interior wiring
(2) For above ground installations except where USE cable emerges from the ground and is terminated in an enclosure at an outdoor location and the cable is protected in accordance with 300.5(D)
(3) As aerial cable unless it is a multiconductor cable identified for use above ground and installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with 225.10 and Part II of Article 396

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see where it says in the OP that the USE is run in conduit, just says "Part of the run is in the crawl space fastened to the joists".

ckpridgen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Specifically this:
(B) 1 The cable passes through a crawl space to save some of the trenching. If not allowed in interiors then what about mobile homes where it commonly feeds an interior panel? I think the interior wiring referred to is branch circuit wiring.
(B) 2 Same issue as mobile homes. Are you suggesting setting junction boxes as the cable emerges from ground and then splicing to a different type cable? My method with type USE cable avoids splices (2) at the exit of the crawl space and entry to the garage.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Please reference the specific code section that states your comment.

For one

(B) Underground Service-Entrance Cable. Underground
service-entrance cable (USE) shall not be used under the
following conditions or in the following locations:
(1) For interior wiring
(2) For aboveground installations except where USE cable
emerges from the ground and is terminated in an enclosure
at an outdoor location and the cable is protected in
accordance with 300.5(D)
(3) As aerial cable unless it is a multiconductor cable identified
for use aboveground and installed as messengersupported
wiring in accordance with 225.10 and Part II of
Article 396

Now if your wire is Rhw-Rhw-2 then it must be treated as and conductors that would be run in a building. Would you run #12 thhn in a crawl with a jacket? The thick jacket os USE is for protection underground however that does not allow it to be run above ground without conduit.

Also- see below..... Table 310.104 mention USE

310.10 Uses Permitted. The conductors described in 310.104
shall be permitted for use in any of the wiring methods covered
in Chapter 3 and as specified in their respective tables or as
permitted elsewhere in this Code.

Buck Parrish

I ran a feeder to supply a detached garage. Since part of the run is underground, I ran USE cable. Part of the run is in the crawl space fastened to the joists. I see no problem with this as the USE cable, even though no outer covering, has excellent abrasion resistance and is built to withstand direct burial conditions. It seems this is uncommon and maybe not specifically addressed in the NEC. Thoughts ?

I agree with the others , It's not code compliant. I'll go further to say you would almost never see the install you've described done in NC. .However , although still not code compliant, It is very common in Indiana .

Status
Not open for further replies.