Typical Hotel Receptacle Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricalhelp

I was wondering if I am circuiting each hotel room correctly. I was curious if we can combine some circuits to reduce the amount of circuits. But I don't want to overload anything just in case someone uses a hairdryer, iron or microwave.

See attached a typical hotel room layout

Panel Schedule
1: 4 Receptacles (2 Switch Lights) and 1 Light in Hallway
3: Bathroom Receptacle
5: Microwave
7: Refrigerator
9: Countertop Receptacle/Coffee Machine

2,4: PTAC Unit
6: Bathroom Light and Bathroom Fan

Any recommendations would be great if I am designing a hotel room incorrectly

Attachments

• Model.pdf
    209.3 KB · Views: 33
I've never done a hotel but that seems like a lot of circuits. For instance, can bath light/fans for multiple rooms go on one circuit? Do you need to separate microwave/refer/counter/(desktop) circuits?

In perspective- I can't imagine a 40 room floor having 280 breakers....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Panel Schedule
1: 4 Receptacles (2 Switch Lights) and 1 Light in Hallway Bathroom Light and Bathroom Fan
3: Bathroom Receptacle
5: Microwave

2,4: PTAC Unit
6: Refrigerator, Countertop Receptacle/Coffee Machine
Maybe juggle the three "kitchen" loads (5 and 6), placing the two smaller loads together.

retirede

Is this a suite with kitchenette or just a hotel room with a couple small appliances?

I’ve stayed in suites (either Staybridge or Candelwood) that had a subpanel in the room. Perhaps a 12 space panel, not full IIRC.

If it’s simply a hotel room, I think you’re overdoing it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
There is no reason a circuit couldn't supply multiple rooms. If the "kitchen" is back-to-back for instance, put all the counter receptacles for both on one circuit. Same goes for lighting. Same goes for baths.

-Hal

Electricalhelp

Maybe juggle the three "kitchen" loads (5 and 6), placing the two smaller loads together.
This is a small hotel room. I also agree. I was thinking of connecting loads 5 & 6 together to make it one circuit
FYI there was also a circuit 7 too, that was to separate the refrigerator. So I was thinking of connecting the microwave and counter receptacle/coffe machine together and keep the Microwave on its circuit.

There is no reason a circuit couldn't supply multiple rooms. If the "kitchen" is back-to-back for instance, put all the counter receptacles for both on one circuit. Same goes for lighting. Same goes for baths.

-Hal
The kitchen are not back to back at all for each hotel room.

Outside of "suite" hotels, I'd expect you could do with fewer than that. First question- why separate things at all?

HVAC probably needs it's own circuit per mfg, but all room & bath lights (for 4-5 rooms) would comfortably fit on another. Refer? Probable only a couple hundred watts. Microwave? Maybe 1kw but only when operating and that won't be often or long. A 5-cup Mr Coffee is 650w but also only for a few minutes. People don't usually use the iron and hair dryer at the same time. Etc.

You could probably do-
1) HVAC for single room
2) all non-bath receptacles in a single room
3) bath/vanity receptacles for multiple rooms
4) lights for multiple rooms

Electricalhelp

Outside of "suite" hotels, I'd expect you could do with fewer than that. First question- why separate things at all?

HVAC probably needs it's own circuit per mfg, but all room & bath lights (for 4-5 rooms) would comfortably fit on another. Refer? Probable only a couple hundred watts. Microwave? Maybe 1kw but only when operating and that won't be often or long. A 5-cup Mr Coffee is 650w but also only for a few minutes. People don't usually use the iron and hair dryer at the same time. Etc.

You could probably do-
1) HVAC for single room
2) all non-bath receptacles in a single room
3) bath/vanity receptacles for multiple rooms
4) lights for multiple rooms

This hotel is mostly used for wedding preparation. So a lot of the girls will be getting there hair done with blower dryer/straighter and what ever they use. Hence why I was concerned about connecting to many loads to one circuit.

Based on your theory, you think I can connect all non-bath receptacles and mini bar equipment (mini refrigerator, microwave and coffee machine) on one circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.