UC Cabinet Light Glare on Granite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than using frosted Xenon lamps or the dinky little shielded sockets they offer, (which all that the manufacturer can suggest) how does one avoid getting glare off of granite countertops bouncing right up into your eyes? Does anyone have a fixture or lamp assembly that blocks all down light and directs the light toward the wall? I like the Seagull Ambience system but would like to see something with a shield.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I usually mount UC lights at the front of the cabinets. I usuall have no complaints like this.

richwaskowitz said:
Other than using frosted Xenon lamps or the dinky little shielded sockets they offer, (which all that the manufacturer can suggest) how does one avoid getting glare off of granite countertops bouncing right up into your eyes? Does anyone have a fixture or lamp assembly that blocks all down light and directs the light toward the wall? I like the Seagull Ambience system but would like to see something with a shield.

1./ LED's mounted behind frosted glass.
2./ The cabinets munted 3' off the wall and there is a 3'x3' trough created in the back to install T-5 fluorescents with indirect lighting toward the backsplash.

electricalperson

weressl said:
1./ LED's mounted behind frosted glass.
2./ The cabinets munted 3' off the wall and there is a 3'x3' trough created in the back to install T-5 fluorescents with indirect lighting toward the backsplash.
number 2 sounds expensive

480sparky

Go to a theatrical supply store and ask to see the light gel sample book. They're samples of colored gels they put in front of theatre lights to change colors/brightness/etc. The book will look similar to paint sample books, but be clear 'plastic'. They will have a rainbow of colors, and some will be frosted white. Even the frosted white will be available in several 'densities'.

X-Film-D.jpg
IMG_2630.jpg

The gels are designed to withstand the high heat the lights produce (some are 1000 watts or more!). They usually wrinkle a bit, but are very hard to burn.
They usually come in 21" x 22" or 24" x 36" sheets for less than $10 and can be cut with ordinary scissors.

mdshunk

480sparky said:
Go to a theatrical supply store and ask to see the light gel sample book.
I make it a point to know about weird supplies and where you buy them. While I know what light gels are, I've never in all my life seen a theatrical supply store. I bet there's darned few local markets that have one.

peter d

mdshunk said:
It's a good idea, anyhow. I think a theatrical supply store would be a really cool place to browse around in.

Sometimes music stores will also have a selection of DJ and lighting stuff, though probably not on the level of theatrical supplier.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
electricalperson said:
number 2 sounds expensive
I bet it would be a lot cheaper to mount the cabinets only three inches off the wall. :grin:

I seem to ne one of a dwindling few who prefer fluorescent lighting for under-cabinet use, but LED's look promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.