UF Cable Behind Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I'll preface this by saying we know nothing of the installation particulars:

Any way to feed this receptacle with something like 1/2" PVC conduit? At least that way, you or the next person has a chance to pull in new conductors if they get damaged. I wouldn't trust the stone installers to not damage the UF during install. If the UF develops a ground fault and trips the breaker / GFCI, how could you fix it? I'd imagine the customer wouldn't be too happy if you told them you needed to pull down the stone.

Romex behind drywall is one thing; drywall can be easily patched and painted. UF behind masonry is basically unrepairable.

-SceneryDriver

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Would the cement/mortar affect the UF insulation?

On a log home I am working on I ran some MC up to a switch on the fireplace wall and they put the stone around it and mortar it in.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
I would think, as the rest of the CODE, you would want to protect the conductor’s themselves. UF cable is more susceptible to damage than MC cable. I also think the insulation ofUF imbedded in concrete/mortar will deteriorate over time, but that’s just my opinion

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Heck, IDK.

I agree with those that believe 340.12(8) prohibits Little Bill's installation with UF.'

330.10(A)(10) seemed to allow McLintock's installation. Now that I read this section again I'm not sure I agree with me either. :)

How are you not agreeing with yourself?
330.10 USES PERMITTED
If it’s was outside it would not be.

My install was in the house a “dry location”

This is the reason remodels and add on’s are a big waste of time and money, so many codes to go through.

kwired

Electron manager
Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate, except where embedded in plaster as nonheating leads where permitted in 424.43

Is the word "poured" referring to just "cement" or is it referring to concrete and aggregate, and maybe even to plaster that was mentioned?

Aggregate is a pretty generic word, but guessing it was intended to mean something mixed into a liquid or slurry consistency then cured into a solid for this instance. Kind of makes the use of words cement, concrete and plaster redundant other than to give some examples of what they intend it to apply to.

Status
Not open for further replies.