Ufer AND Driven Grounds

WCEI

Occupation
President/Owner, Wayne Cook Electric, Inc.
Dennis, I briefly checked FAQ’s before I posted this, but did not see it addressed. If I missed it in my haste, you can slap my hand.

We have had inspectors require that both a ufer and driven ground rods be used, and we have had inspectors make us remove the connection to the ground rods because a ufer was used.

Which is correct, and why and where is this referenced in the code?

Last edited by a moderator:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We have had inspectors require that both a user and driven ground rods be used, and we have had inspectors make us remove the connection to the ground rods because a unfree was used.

Which is correct, and why and where is this referenced in the code?
You meant CEE or concrete encased electrode, slang name Ufer. You have some inspectors who need a tune up on the NEC. If both electrodes are present they both must be used as part of the GES. {250.50} If you have a CEE the NEC does not require any ground rods.

WCEI

Occupation
President/Owner, Wayne Cook Electric, Inc.
You meant CEE or concrete encased electrode, slang name Ufer. You have some inspectors who need a tune up on the NEC. If both electrodes are present they both must be used as part of the GES. {250.50} If you have a CEE the NEC does not require any ground rods.
Our understanding too. Just wanted to be positive that I wasn’t missing something. Thank you.

PaulEd

Here's an illustration you can show the so called inspector.

Not everyone knows everything and maybe there is some sort of miscommunication here with WCEI and the inspector. It just seems electricians are incredible quick to make fun of, put down, or degrade their contemporaries.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Not everyone knows everything and maybe there is some sort of miscommunication here with WCEI and the inspector. It just seems electricians are incredible quick to make fun of, put down, or degrade their contemporaries.

Maybe someone who sets themself up as an inspector should know what they are talking about.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And by correcting the so called inspector it will be contributing to his education. Trust me I'm as quick to show support when it's warranted.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In my experience the inspector who gets it wrong get challenged and corrected. I've heard more than once "I want it done my way" when they were completely wrong. Maybe this was a miscommunication but the OP didn't say that he thought that it was. As Birken stated this one is simple and not open to interpretation so the inspector either made a mistake or doesn't know the code.

For the record electricians make a lot more mistakes than inspectors.