Ufer ground (earth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I didn’t want to distract from this thread http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=191619

When a new foundation slab is cast with an Ufer mesh included are any additives like Marconite used in the concrete mix? Marconite is used to increase the conductivity of cement and concrete.

Ufer earthing is going to be added for the 1st time as a recommendation in the forthcoming 18th edition of BS7671. I can see it causing mass confusion amongst UK electricians. I’ve only seen it specified once for the foundations of a substation and that was when I was an apprentice many moons ago.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
My first job in the construction trades was a concrete worker. Anything added to the mix was done at the batch plant and we just worked with it.

Mr. Ufer didn't need any special stuff added to his concrete.

Why do you think U.K. electricians are easily confused?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Mesh is not used for a concrete encased electrode. Only rebar. If it has mesh instead of rebar it cannot be a concrete encased electrode. At least not per National electrical code

Tony S

My first job in the construction trades was a concrete worker. Anything added to the mix was done at the batch plant and we just worked with it.

Mr. Ufer didn't need any special stuff added to his concrete.

Why do you think U.K. electricians are easily confused?

As I said, it’s being included in our regulations for the first time. It will be a bit of a culture shock for those who don’t know the theory and reasoning behind an Ufer earth. I’ve only seen it used once and that was back in my apprenticeship days for a new switchroom.

Dale001289

As I said, it’s being included in our regulations for the first time. It will be a bit of a culture shock for those who don’t know the theory and reasoning behind an Ufer earth. I’ve only seen it used once and that was back in my apprenticeship days for a new switchroom.

I've seen the Ufer system for an entire chemical plant - however overall, its rarely utilized. Most clients still prefer to see a green or bare copper 'stinger' attached to steel, skids, motor frames etc.
Herb G. Ufer originally showed concrete as an excellent conductor back in the 1940's. Then in the 1960's (or 70's?) an Engineer at Dupont showed the Ufer system was not only effective but an enormous cost saver as well over 'traditional' electrodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.