Ufer Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarber

I am subbing out a house in a part of the country with no codes.

My question is about the ufer ground. I'm building a basement home that will obviously have a slab in the basement and concrete walls. In an ufer ground, do you use the rebar in the footings and walls only to make the bond or do you bond the slab rebar to it also??

My other question, is this, to try and get a better ground I was debating on also running a 8' rod that would be bonded to the ufer. If I were to do this, could I just drive a rod underneath the slab or go outside the footings and drive a rod before backfilling around the basement walls so that my ground rod was that much farther below grade than just driving it in the ground after backfill?

Another note - is that I'll more than likely eventually put a lightning protection system on it that will bond to my grounds - which is one reason I was wanting to add the ground rod - just to hopefully reduce impedence a little.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Yes he did. That thread was closed because we don't allow DIY questions on this forum. I am closing this one for the same reason.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am going to open and close this thread after a comment on the proposed lightning protection system.
There is an entire NFPA standard on lightning protection systems and they are typically installed by certified installers. You may be tempted to design and install it your self, in the event of a lightning strike, based on your post, there would likely be damage due how you bonded it.
We often see posts on lightning protection system and we moderators or forum users direct them to a certified installer...as you should do

Status
Not open for further replies.