Ufer ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
The Ufer clamp either has to be encased in concrete or if the rebar extends out out the pour it has to be accessible.
Yes, I know.
Most times here it sticks through the top of the foundation wall. Sometimes that means it's in a basement. Most of the new homes I wire have a finished basement, yet no times have there been access to the clamp.

Sometimes the foundation walls are not full height, and they'll frame stud walls to vet the ceiling height. In that case the ufer ends up in a wall, and no times there have been access to the clamp.

It's completely misunderstood of ignored in these parts

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
We always put a two gang ring with blank in the case of half wall or finished room. You would be surprised how many do get loose over time. I even had welded one since the owner insisted no blank. There money.

This one reason they use the sump pump location ( basements). Usually an unfinished room.

kwired

Electron manager
That one in the stoop was low enough that it would have been in the dirt below the concrete
Maybe another footing at higher elevation for the stoop was to be poured later? This was a tie piece stubbed out to tie the two together?

Seen many stoops or other attachments over years that they apparently never tied to main structure nor did they put a good enough footing under said attachment and the attachment eventually settles, or even is subjected to frost heave.

kwired

Electron manager
We always put a two gang ring with blank in the case of half wall or finished room. You would be surprised how many do get loose over time. I even had welded one since the owner insisted no blank. There money.

This one reason they use the sump pump location ( basements). Usually an unfinished room.
Generally nobody wants that access blank in their new room. You could have gone there when footing was being prepared and tied a #4 copper and stuck it out where you wanted it, or at least given them a specific location you would liked the rebar stubbed out. Exothermic weld is an option that wouldn't need future access like you mentioned.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Here in Tulsa by the time you get back to do any type of rough the wire is gone. Now we have to splice that GEC. So blank it is.
Also if you wonder why they stick two foot up and out. It is so you can use an AL conductor if you want. 18" rule. It give you options. Me myself I would not. When the local AHJ made there admentents, that two foot stubbed out is was to accommodate the NEC on GEC conductors.

Thought I would share a couple of pics from an old article pertaining to the original question.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-082525.png
    Screenshot_20220622-082525.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220622-082743.png
    Screenshot_20220622-082743.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 5

kwired

Electron manager
Here in Tulsa by the time you get back to do any type of rough the wire is gone. Now we have to splice that GEC. So blank it is.
Also if you wonder why they stick two foot up and out. It is so you can use an AL conductor if you want. 18" rule. It give you options. Me myself I would not. When the local AHJ made there admentents, that two foot stubbed out is was to accommodate the NEC on GEC conductors.

Thought I would share a couple of pics from an old article pertaining to the original question.
I was going to say, the concrete guys wouldn't do that on their own, someone had to make them do it. If nobody making them do it they wouldn't even leave you a 1 inch stub out anywhere. That said, unless you can let them know where you would like it stubbed out, they may not even get it close to where you would like it.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I was going to say, the concrete guys wouldn't do that on their own, someone had to make them do it. If nobody making them do it they wouldn't even leave you a 1 inch stub out anywhere. That said, unless you can let them know where you would like it stubbed out, they may not even get it close to where you would like it.
My last rough-in I was there when they were tying the rebar. 3 story home on slab. I specifically told the builder and heard him tell foundation guys where I wanted it. They put it on the opposite side of the house.

kwired

Electron manager
My last rough-in I was there when they were tying the rebar. 3 story home on slab. I specifically told the builder and heard him tell foundation guys where I wanted it. They put it on the opposite side of the house.
Guess next time you will tell them opposite location of where you actually would like it then?

Didn't by chance have a mirror image copy of the plans? I have run into that before.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Guess next time you will tell them opposite location of where you actually would like it then?
It's like trying to babysit some third graders
Didn't by chance have a mirror image copy of the plans? I have run into that before.
Nope. Custom home. I pointed to the temporary and said that's the side I'm going to put my service on and that's the side I want my ufer ground. They stepped it up over behind the bathroom sink

kwired

Electron manager
It's like trying to babysit some third graders

Nope. Custom home. I pointed to the temporary and said that's the side I'm going to put my service on and that's the side I want my ufer ground. They stepped it up over behind the bathroom sink
I'd say that is justification for "fix it or be back charged" for your extra costs, even if via the owner or GC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I connect #4 to the rebar in the slab and leave enough to reach where I want the service. We always buried the extra copper to avoid someone stealing it.

I finally trained my builders to do this so I didn't have to make a trip out there. I would get them the material and they did the rest.

OOPs, that generally worked until one time I handed the builder an end of the coil roll of #6 thinking I was giving him #4...Fortunately NC has an amendment that doesn't require the ufer so we used the #6 and had to drive the rods also...

jjconst

Occupation
Electrican
I helped electricians on extreme makeover house, when ufer grounds were starting to be used. The carpenters cut off the GEC where it came out of the footing
What was done to fix this issue? Thats one thing I've wondered for a while. what do you do if the framer cuts the rebar stub off to get it out of his way?

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What was done to fix this issue? Thats one thing I've wondered for a while. what do you do if the framer cuts the rebar stub off to get it out of his way?
Give him a jack hammer and tell to call you when he finds It.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In jurisdictions that require a UFER, or given an NEC version that requires an existing UFER to be used, you or someone else will have to make that rebar accessible, either at the original site or somewhere else. ou
What you can do about the cost may depend on the GC and your relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.