Ufer ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the concrete encased electrode utilizing #4 rebar is utilized as the method of grounding on a residential structure and the re-bar is turned verticle to provide the tie in for the grounding conductor please explain the following: If the stub up through the foundation wall exits the wall on the exterior of the wall, below grade with 2-3 feet exposed above grade is this being allowed. Understanding that unprotected re-bar is required to be encased in concrete per ACI 318, but it does not mention re-bar being used as the grounding electrode system. Is there any other justification out there that can be pointed out in black & white othere than the IRC 3608 section and the ACI 318?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am not sure what you are saying. My understanding that rebar below grade not encased in concrete will not last long. The NEC is silent on the issue of using the rebar below grade unprotected but imo, it is a bad idea. Since rebar isn't listed to be buried in earth then I believe it is a violation to connect to it underground.

Cavie

Round these parts, the rebar is turned up inside the frame wall or inside the block wall. no rebar is to be exposed because it will rust away. A connection is made inside the wall and covered with a 2 gang plate.

Exposed conductor

Exposed conductor

When the concrete encased electrode utilizing #4 rebar is utilized as the method of grounding on a residential structure and the re-bar is turned verticle to provide the tie in for the grounding conductor please explain the following: If the stub up through the foundation wall exits the wall on the exterior of the wall, below grade with 2-3 feet exposed above grade is this being allowed. Understanding that unprotected re-bar is required to be encased in concrete per ACI 318, but it does not mention re-bar being used as the grounding electrode system. Is there any other justification out there that can be pointed out in black & white othere than the IRC 3608 section and the ACI 318?[/QUOTe

I was looking for a professional reply, not witty responses on what you do in your area. Unless you have local ordnances that add to the IRC we both work from the same code books. I'm sure this is not an isolated issue so other than stamping your feet and huffing off replying you can't do it that way what other areas do you reference besides what I aready identified do you use?

jumper

When the concrete encased electrode utilizing #4 rebar is utilized as the method of grounding on a residential structure and the re-bar is turned verticle to provide the tie in for the grounding conductor please explain the following: If the stub up through the foundation wall exits the wall on the exterior of the wall, below grade with 2-3 feet exposed above grade is this being allowed. Understanding that unprotected re-bar is required to be encased in concrete per ACI 318, but it does not mention re-bar being used as the grounding electrode system. Is there any other justification out there that can be pointed out in black & white othere than the IRC 3608 section and the ACI 318?[/QUOTe

I was looking for a professional reply, not witty responses on what you do in your area. Unless you have local ordnances that add to the IRC we both work from the same code books. I'm sure this is not an isolated issue so other than stamping your feet and huffing off replying you can't do it that way what other areas do you reference besides what I aready identified do you use?

Are you yelling at yourself?:confused::cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I think you are being a bit sensitive here. My response was not witty nor was Cavie's. I stated I wasn't sure what you were asking as your post was confusing. No member is going to respond to you with comments like this. Relax.

John120/240

When the concrete encased electrode utilizing #4 rebar is utilized as the method of grounding on a residential structure and the re-bar is turned verticle to provide the tie in for the grounding conductor please explain the following: If the stub up through the foundation wall exits the wall on the exterior of the wall, below grade with 2-3 feet exposed above grade is this being allowed. Understanding that unprotected re-bar is required to be encased in concrete per ACI 318, but it does not mention re-bar being used as the grounding electrode system. Is there any other justification out there that can be pointed out in black & white othere than the IRC 3608 section and the ACI 318?

Welcome to the fourm. The way that it is done here is to have maybe 12" to 18"

of rebar stick out thru the basement wall near the area where your panel is located.

If the electrican is on the ball, get to the site before concrete is poured & attach

your ground wire to rebar inside the wall. Leave enough wire coiled on top of the

wall to reach your panel. Have not seen a UFER ground on the exterior of any structure.

On a side note, post of paragraph length can be hard to read with old, tired eyes

if not double spaced. Hope this helps.

WIMaster

I think you are being a bit sensitive here. My response was not witty nor was Cavie's. I stated I wasn't sure what you were asking as your post was confusing. No member is going to respond to you with comments like this. Relax.

I fully agree. It would also help to add what state you are located in. There are varying requirements by state. In WI comm 16 requires that if you use ground rods in your system you must use 2 of them. Just a WI example.
I bet there are members here from your state that could help with any state/local issues.

I haven't been on this forum long, but it seems that people here are trying to be helpful. Much more so than another forum I visited recently!

Last edited:

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
In AZ when using rebar in the footing a connection to a GEC either using a "C"
crimp or cadweld to the rebar with a long enough tail to go to the service panel is required and what the building inspector looks for.

If any of the footing rebar is exposed, the footing inspection would fail as not meeiting the minimum requirements of the IBC or IRC. The only rebar allowed to extend up from a footing would be the tie in to either a masonry stem wall or poured in place stem wall. This rebar then would also be encased at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.