Ufer in new addition to commercial building

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
An addition was added to a commercial building I'm on and the inspector requested us to install a ufer ground in the addition. The existing building is the same build structure (concrete block and steel structure) . Am I required that ufer conductor to go all the way back (150') to the panel with main disconnect or can I just bond it to building steel which is all tied to existing steel structure?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there a CEE already in the building? If so an additional CEE is not required to be connected to anything.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If you do have to install one you can connect it to the building steel providing the building steel is in fact part of the GES.

1708098079378.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
. . . or can I just bond it to building steel which is all tied to existing steel structure?
That's the question: Can building steel be part of the Ufer electrode pathway?

According to the graphics above, it appears that it can.

Maybe the building steel already qualifies as an electrode.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I actually agree with this. When does an addition have to have an electrode?
It's not in the NEC. Technically the NEC doesn't ever require a CEE. But many places have a local rule that requires a CEE to be installed and connected when x length of new foundation footer is poured. Especially places where most buildings are older and never had a CEE so they are trying to bring the grounding up to modern standards.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Technically the NEC doesn't ever require a CEE.
Thank you for saying it this way, I've often said the exact same thing and get blank stares. NEC just says if there is a CEE available then it has to be connected. Then follows the "discussion" about what constitutes "available" but that's neither here nor there. Well it might be there, but I don't care cause I'm over here.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
I actually agree with this. When does an addition have to have an electrode?
You won't find that in the US National Electric Code (NEC). It is invoked by the provision of the adopted building or zoning codes which state at what percentage of floor area increase you have to Install to the present codes in all aspects of the new construction. A commonly used percentage is 40%. Also if the addition to the existing structure includes a new service, regardless of it's location within the structure, that must be installed in accordance with the presently adopted electrical code.

Tom Horne