Uh oh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

torcho

I don't want to start an argument on this subject (it's been gone over many times) but I wanted to show you guys this. I ordered this hospital grade surge protection receptacle for my cousin's new wall mount LCD tv. I was shocked when I opened the box (I have never used one of these before by the way) take a look at how the device needs to be installed to read the labeling correctly....Funny the straps are just the opposite. Just thought I'd show you all. This thing is pretty cool though, and it carries a 1449 UL listing.

ImageShack

torcho

Re: Uh oh....

I'm not saying it is the right way...I always install duplexes with ground down, I just figured I'd show this off to see if I could start a fight...Just kidding. :D :D

Oh, I forgot it's called a yoke...Thanks for the correction Jw. :p

B

bthielen

So....which is the right direction, ground up or ground down? :D

I will leave now.

Bob

[ September 15, 2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: bthielen ]

bob

torcho
What is the price for this protection?
What are the electrical parameters?

redfish

Uh oh, check this out. Is this thing upside down? :)
sec_C.jpg

jwelectric

Originally posted by bob:
torcho
What is the price for this protection?
What are the electrical parameters?
He may be awhile; he is out in the street looking for me.

Shhhhh don?t let him know that I am in here.
:D :D :D

mhulbert

I hope you didn't pay for a hospital grade device as you said in your post...this one is not! All HG devices have the green dot on them.

Also, the Leviton HG TVSS devices have an audible alarm that goes off if the TVSS fails. There is a silence screw on the front cover, plus a little grille for the beeper.

I think the non HG units are about $30, probably about $45 for an HG unit. I took one apart, there are 3 large MOV's inside. The case is the same as a GFI, w/ feed through lugs as well.

They are very handy for entertainments centers etc, I try to put 4plexes (or 8plexes) with one of these in, way better setup than outlet strips,etc.

mike

cselectric

Originally posted by bthielen:
So....which is the right direction, ground up or ground down? :D

I will leave now.

Bob
Ground on the side is the best way... I'll head for the door now and hopefully avoid any objects being thrown at my head. :roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by redfish:
Uh oh, check this out. Is this thing upside down?
It doesn't matter. At $24 each (!), I'm never going to install one. If they were $24 for a box of 10, maybe...

torcho

Posted my mhullbert
I hope you didn't pay for a hospital grade device as you said in your post...this one is not! All HG devices have the green dot on them.

Yeah, he's right, (I remember being right once... :) ) this is actually an "Industrial Grade" surge protector. We opted to not have the alarm, and the indicator light will be visible to verify integrity of the device. I paid 24.98 for this and I think it is worth it in this case. It's for a wall mount tv, the outlet is located on the wall in the vicinity of the tv itself. All the feeds for hdtv, coax, audio etc. are also located by the set itself. I didn't know of any other way to make the installation clean without sacrificing some protection, so that is how I came up with this. It's not a million dollar set up by any means, but we wanted a clean installation, and some assurance that the $1800 tv would be protected. I would have rather seen it on a line conditioner or something, but it wasn't in the cards. I'll get some pictures of the finished product...It should be pretty cool.

I couldn't get the direct link, but enter 5280-w in the "Enter Leviton Catalog Number" bar after going here. Leviton

Status
Not open for further replies.