UL-50 Junction Box requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a project in a 3rd world country, material is very hard to come by. We need to have a local metal worker fashion us a custom electrical pull box to meet the schedule. The owner insists all parts be UL listed. Short of purchasing UL-50 standard can anyone point me in the right direction for acceptable pull-box construction?

z-men

Re: UL-50 Junction Box requirements

Article 314 III Construction Specifications
A talks about corrision resistant
b talks about thickness of metal It says sheet steel boxes not over 100 cubic inches shall be made from steel not less than 1.59mm or.0625 in
There are two exceptions It says conduit bodies and boxes that are listed and have equivalent strength shall be permitted to be made of thinner or other metals.I think this makes you the judge.It also says to provide grounding provisions,covers of the same material and use proper bushings.

I had the same issue come up in a job in Puerto Rico. You really want to look at UL50 and see some of the requirements there in regards to construction requirements like galvanizing, metal thickness, ect. UL can be brought on site to inspect and seal it, however if the owner is persistent in getting a UL box, then I would purchase one that is already UL listed rather than fighting over it. It will save you in the long run.

raja

What are the requirements for latches on a power panel? Our office was sited in a safety inspection for not having UL approved latches.

Status
Not open for further replies.