UL and Fire/Burg Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

st1976

When is it necessary to follow strict UL standards for programming Fire and Burglar alarms? Is this only necessary when the spec for the job specifically requires a UL listed system or are there times when it is required by code?

Typically we install residential Burglary and Fire Alarm systems. There are certain functions in the control panels that must be set to a specfic value for UL compliance and some functions that are not evaluated for UL compliance. Our local inspector has never mentioned anything about UL listing or complaince.

Is there a requirement for UL listing in commercial installs?

Thanks for any info.

renosteinke

UL and Fire/Burg Panels

There are two separate issues here.

First, there is the matter of UL listed equipment. UL expects you to instal it as per the manufacturer's specs, and for its' intended use. That's all the UL listing covers.

Then there is the matter of complete alarm system installations. UL has a listing service that evaluates, in the field, installed alarm systems. Among the things UL has its' guys do is trip the alarm- and see how long it takes the PD to respond. (And, yes, sometimes the night Sargeant fails to 'get the word,' and UL gets to bail their guy out in the AM!)

Many factors apply to the entire system that have nothing at all to do with the equipment- things like the length of the run to the alarm center, response time, etc. I can think of one jewelry store that sued UL, even though UL had refused to list the alarm system, after a burglary.

That aside, in the alarm biz UL standards are more of a 'baseline' than a 'gold standard.' The ultimate "AHJ" here is usually the insurance company. After all, their the ones who will have to pay out....

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
There are certain requirements for Class A burg systems used in jewelry stores and such. The installation must be done by certified persons and per the instructions.
Your local inspector, is probably not familar with the programming requirements. He/she is more concerned with the electrcial side of the installation.
However, the insurance company will be very interested in the programming and installatio, esp if there is a loss....
The NEC states that the installation must be per the listing and labeling instructions, 110.3(b).

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Since local codes vary, the answer is: it depends.....

Since local codes vary, the answer is: it depends.....

Who is requiring the system to meet UL standards or acquire a UL certification? The AHJ or building department? The insurer? The financial institution making the loan? Once this information is in front of you, you may find that it only applies to the fire alarm portion of the system, or only the security alarm portion. Of course, it could apply to both. Keep in mind that I'm only referring to the system programming.

iwire

Staff member
In this area we must have a 'listed' alarm company come and test any fire alarm systems and fill out an NFPA worksheet that certifies the fire alarm system is both operational and installed correctly.

Without that done the fire department will not sign off.

JohnE

Bob has accurately described the Fire Alarm requirements.

My understanding of a UL burglar alarm system is that a contractor must be certified by UL. To do so, you need to apply and have a certain amount of systems inspected by UL. There are a number of requirements for these systems, including something termed "complete coverage" where basically you can't move without a motion detector seeing you.

Not every system gets inspected by UL, it's just that a certified installer installs it to the UL requirements.

I may not be super accurate with these statements, but that's the info I got from my supplier, who's been in the alarm business for about 40 years, and is also a state instructor.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.