UL "Classified" Circuit Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvannevel

I have in front of me, a T&B circuit breaker which states that it is, "Classified by UL for use in UL Listed panelboards by Challenger, GE, Murray, Siemens, Thomas & Betts, and Westinghouse, in place of UL Listed circuit breakers listed below". Now, the UL product marking states, "This circuit beaker is Listed for use in circuit breaker enclosures and panelboards intended and marked for its use. This circuit breaker is Classified for use, where the available short-circuit current is 10kA, 120/240 V ac or less, in the compatible panelboards shown in Publicaction No. T5651B63 provided with this circuit breaker". My understanding is that although UL has tested this breaker in these panels and found it suitable, it can only be used in them if these panel manufacturers specifically list it suitable for replacement use. Am I all wet on this? My other inspectors and I turn down all installations when we find a breaker like this in a panel. Any clarification would be appreciated.

[ May 08, 2003, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: mvannevel ]

charlie

Re: UL "Classified" Circuit Breakers

What is happening is that UL is testing these circuit breakers for use in the other panelboards and listing them for that purpose. There is no problem with them being used in the panelboards they are listed for; however, some of the manufacturers are trying to prevent this practice so they can supply the replacement circuit breakers. Square D is the biggest opponent of this and even goes so far as to say that using any other circuit breaker will void their warranty.

The bottom line is that you may use a circuit breaker that is listed for the application but the warranty may be voided by the manufacturer of the panelboard. :)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Be aware of the fault current issue with Classified Breakers.

These breakers are only listed for a max of 10KSCA. There are no series ratings of UL Listed main breakers and UL Classified branchs. If a classified breaker is installed into a panel that has a UL Listed 22/10K lable (common with Square D, Cutler Hammer, and Siemens) the installation could be seen as a violation of the UL Listing.

mvannevel

Thanks for the prompt responses Charlie and Jim. The marking on the breaker does contain the information about not being used in panels with available fault current in excess of 10 kA. I guess the thing that I question with them is the statement about "Listed for use in circuit breaker enclosures and panelboards intended and marked for its use". My interpretation of that is that a General Electric panel (for example) is not intended OR marked for use of a T&B breaker. I can easily understand why the panel manufacturers are not happy about this. As you may have noticed, I'm not particularly happy about it myself. I have enough to worry about without having to check to see if these breakers are classified for use in a certain panel. Stuff like this makes me wonder about the decline of civilization or our trade (or maybe both).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

mvannevel,
Listed for use in circuit breaker enclosures and panelboards intended and marked for its use". My interpretation of that is that a General Electric panel (for example) is not intended OR marked for use of a T&B breaker.
While the T&B breaker is not listed for use in the GE panel, it may be classified for used in the GE panel. If you install a "classified" breaker in a panel that is was "classified for use in", you are in compliance with the code and the listing of the panel.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.