UL equals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working in an existing facility with mostly foreign equipment (Italy,France, etc.). The majority of previous work done had been without permits. We now want to bring this facility up to code. Besides other code issues we are facing I have noticed there are no UL listings. I have seen other listings that are accepted in U.S. as equals to UL. Is there somewhere I can find other listings that are equal.

480sparky

Organizations Currently Recognized By OSHA as NRTLs:

Applied Research Laboratories, Inc. (ARL)
Canadian Standards Association (CSA) (also known as CSA International)
Communication Certification Laboratory, Inc. (CCL)
Curtis-Straus LLC (CSL)
Detroit Testing Laboratory, Inc. (DTL)
Electro-Test, Inc. (ETI)
Entela, Inc. (ENT)
FM Global Technologies LLC (FM) (also known as FM Approvals and formerly Factory Mutual Research Corporation)
Intertek Testing Services NA, Inc. (ITSNA) (formerly ETL)
MET Laboratories, Inc. (MET)
NSF International (NSF)
National Technical Systems, Inc. (NTS)
SGS U.S. Testing Company, Inc. (SGSUS) (formerly UST-CA)
Southwest Research Institute (SWRI)
TUV America, Inc. (TUVAM)
TUV Product Services GmbH (TUVPSG)
TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc. (TUV)
Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL)
Wyle Laboratories, Inc. (WL)

misterbill1972 said:
I am working in an existing facility with mostly foreign equipment (Italy,France, etc.). The majority of previous work done had been without permits. We now want to bring this facility up to code. Besides other code issues we are facing I have noticed there are no UL listings. I have seen other listings that are accepted in U.S. as equals to UL. Is there somewhere I can find other listings that are equal.

That would be highly uncommon to find equipment from those countries built to US Standards and have NRTL labels.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Remember that a CE label is not an independent (NRTL) lable, it is an indication of self certification.

As Laslzo said, even if the item has an NRTL it may not have been tested to US standards. Many NRTL's in the US test to standards created by UL.

weressl said:
That would be highly uncommon to find equipment from those countries built to US Standards and have NRTL labels.
The newer equipment has a NM label on it. The rest is nowhere to be found. I was told if there is no UL present, it is not worth doing any work until it is UL certified.Is this true?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
misterbill1972 said:
The newer equipment has a NM label on it. The rest is nowhere to be found. I was told if there is no UL present, it is not worth doing any work until it is UL certified.Is this true?

Actually, the NEC requires very few items to have a "listing", although you always need to check your local codes. The NEC does not cover "purchased" industrial machines and process equipment. It is up to the AHJ to approve all equipment, but some local codes automatically accept NRTL items.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
misterbill1972 said:

generally speaking most industrial machinery is not listed at all. sometimes the control panel is.

i would not be all that worried about the innards of existing control panels. they did not need to be listed when they were installed, so why mess with them.

as a practical matter, getting control panels designed to european standards to meet Ul listing requirements is all but impossible from a cost perspective. would be cheaper to buy new control panels in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.