UL issue for a made control cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry

Customer would like me to make a control station for a machine they made,it will consist of mag.starter,relays,buttons etc.240v 3 phase.My ques.is should I have the customer sign something stating that I'am not liable due it not being u.l approved.I feel I'am left open because anyone down the road can change something.I am sure someone has come across this I'am wondering how other electricans would handle this. Thanks for the infor.

G

Re: UL issue for a made control cabinet

Pull a permit and the AHJ will dictate if any listing is required.

You also might want to limit your warranty to only the components that you furnish.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: UL issue for a made control cabinet

Good answer AWWT. In Washington State I can make a "field assembled control panel" with out the UL 508 listing, as long as:
1. All components are UL listed (not recognized)
2. Inspected as part of the job.

You need to understand the difference between UL Listed and UL component recognized.
Many agencies would require this control panel to be UL508 listed, there are control shops that can make this type of panel, I have had panels made and made panels, considering time and materials the cost is about the same. Personally I would get a price from a UL 508 shop. Check with your AHJ to see what they will allow, if they require a listed panel then you should go that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.