UL issue in regards to breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky02203

I was wondering if someone has the answere to this question? I have looked far and wide to find it and still havent found an answere. I do contracting and I work in Home Depot in the electrical department and i was wondering... we are getting alot of customers coming from Lowes telling us that they are saying that using the Seimens Breakers as an interchangable is not code and also now makes the breaker and breaker panel no longer UL listed. Also i will add that our store reps are also saying it now. I tried to call the City Code Inspector and really knew nothing of this being an issue so i was wondering if anyone out there can either stear me in the right direction to finding out this information or maybe u know off hand, i would like to find the imformation one way or another, also to have it in Black in White from UL or NEC either way!

Thank You

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: UL issue in regards to breakers

Breakers must be either "listed" or "classified" for use in the panel. Just because they fit does not mean that you are permitted to use them. In general the part numbers of the breakers that are "listed" for use in a panel will appear on the sticker that is in the panel. "Classified" breakers are requireed to be provided with a list of panels that they can be used with.
Don

G

Are you an EC? Most EC's have run up against this so many times it's second nature.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

awwt, sparky02203, explained who he is and why he is asking the question.

If you're so versed on this issue answer it.

I would like to hear your information on what you claim is second nature to us.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.