UL listed emt fitting for a wet location (watertight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heybud

Hello,
Has anyone seen an approved EMT fitting for wet location. I know that UL pulled the approval in 2001 or there about. Has anyone seen an approved fitting yet? How are you all dealing with outdoor piping?

heybud

Re: UL listed emt fitting for a wet location (watertight)

Thanks I found out today that the first run of these fittings are on there way here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I'm going to ask the same question that I have asked every time that this subject has come up. Are threaded couplings for rigid conduit required to be listed as raintight? In my opinion the threaded rigid coupling is much less "raintight" than the standard compression coupling for EMT.
Don

hurk27

Here is some info off UL's web site that might help:

Effective March 2002, manufacturers of UL Listed "raintight" (wet location) compression type EMT fittings were required to comply with the more stringent follow up test requirements. If the manufacturers of these fittings did not comply with the new requirements, they were no longer authorized to mark their UL Listed fittings with the "Raintight" marking.

As of November 2003, only one manufacturer is authorized to mark their Listed compression type EMT fittings with the "Raintight" marking. Bridgeport Fittings Inc. has their 250 and 260 Series with an RT Suffix connectors and couplings in the ?, ?, and 1 inch trade size Listed for raintight applications.

These fittings are provided with additional sealing rings to exclude water, the installation instructions on the carton must be followed for proper installation. Look for the "Raintight" marking on the container and the UL Mark on the fitting.

The availability of "raintight" fittings may change as manufacturers redesign their fittings to comply with UL's new follow-up "raintight" testing. It is imperative to always look for the proper marking on the product and container. If the product is not marked with the UL Listing Mark and the container is not marked "Raintight", then the fittings have not been Listed for raintight applications. As new "Raintight" Listings are promulgated, this page will be updated with that information.

pierre

Hello Don
If the coupling for IMC or RMC is made up 'wrenchtight', will it not be raintight? I do not know the answer, I am asking because I always thought it would be raintight. Do you have ifo for this or access to a website for this info?
Somewhere in the deep recess of my mind (okay the small recess of my mind) I remember something about 5 threads .....

Pierre

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Pierre,
Even when "wrench tight" threaded conduit couplings do not provide a raintight seal. This is because conduit couplings have straight thread and do not provide tight seal between the male and female threads. Plumbing couplings have tapered threads, so that when you install water pipe the taper of the male threads and the taper on the female threads provides a watertight seal. It is my opinion that the standard EMT compression connector (the old type) provides a more "rain tight" connection than does a threaded coupling.
Don

tonyi

Plumbers rarely just wrench together threaded joints - its going to get a pipe dope of some sort unless it a tapered mating flange affair like some gas line hookups.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Tony,
The main purpose of pipe dope on plumbing pipe is to provide lubrication so that the fitting can be tightened enough to force good metal to metal contact between the male and female threads. It should be the tight metal to metal contact between the threads that makes the seal, but pipe dope or tape does help the seal by filling small inperfections in the threads.
Don

marissa2

The code states that all conduits threaded in the field must be done with a 3/4-inch per foot taper.
Why is that the couplings are not required to be tapered when made at the factory.
Lou

drg

Perhaps you could get a machinery handbook and look at the sections explaining american pipe threads.
To summarize why the coupling would be staight thread and the pipe tapered 3/4" per ft . I would "Guess" that the joints are being used as a free or loose mechanical connection and not required to be pressure tight such as a NPT connection.
So this is "As I would guess" but when you get the exact answer please post .

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

My guess is that conduit couplings are straight thread only because they are much cheaper to manufacture than a tapered thread coupling. In my opinion the grounding continuity of the conduit system would be greatly improved if we used tapered thread couplings. This is only my opinion and the conduit industry presented a study to the Canadian Code people a number of years ago showing that straight thread couplings are better for grounding. This study was done in support of the conduit industry proposal to eliminate the requirement for tapered thread conduit couplings that was in the Canadian Code at that time. I've never read the study, but don't see how the straight thread coupling could be a better grounding path than a tapered thread coupling. I submitted a proposal to require tapered thread conduit couplings in wet locations a number of years ago, but it was rejected.
Don

redewire

I am an electrical coordinator for a major manufacturer with plants in the 48 states and some 37 countries abroad. We have taken the position not to use EMT in any outdoor installation, not only because of the raintight issue, but we find that EMT installed outdoors deteriorates fairly rapidly, especially on the underside of horizontal installations. The difference in cost from EMT and Rigid is not worth the sacrifice. Give me rigid and I will have a installation that will last a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.