UL Listed Ferrules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcamnl

Is there such a thing? Our UL field rep. doesn't like that we use them and recommended that we stop unless we can find some that are UL.
I have been looking but have come up empty handed.

mdshunk

I thought that if any were it would be the one's from Tyco. No dice there. They have ELV and RoHS compliant one's, and some that havn't been evaluated by anyone, but none with the UL Mark.

Mcamnl

weressl said:
What size and how does UL gets involved?

Sizes ranging from 20ga. to 10ga. wires.
Not sure what you mean by how does UL get involved?
Our UL rep today told me he didn't think ferrules were allowed so we should stop using them on panels we mark.

Mcamnl said:
Sizes ranging from 20ga. to 10ga. wires.
Not sure what you mean by how does UL get involved?
Our UL rep today told me he didn't think ferrules were allowed so we should stop using them on panels we mark.

A UL rep saying he did not "think" they were allowed? He supposed to KNOW and list the chapter and paragraph. The terminal blocks they approve are listed as suitable for ferrule connection. So they are talking out of both corners of their mouth if they do not approve them as a system. In that case the manufacturer would need to state that their terminals are approved ONLY with bare wire termination, but not ferrules. If anything the ferrules are to increase the safety performance of the installation so that not stray strands can ground or short circuit.

There is CSA approval on these:

http://catalog.weidmueller.com/cgi-bin/cm_syb.exe?Startup=Viewer/catalog_show_info_simple&SessionID=sess5640842825742&Key=infoID&Key=ID&Key=lang&Key=ObjectID&ObjectID=05465551-3B4A-11D6-BAC0-000102B788D7&ID=group91241446491&infoID=productDetails&lang=en&Refresh=false

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Ferrules are not termination devices. I don't believe that UL even has a standard that covers them. Of course, the crimp-on pin type connectors are a different animal and do have a UL standard.

Have you asked your ferrule supplier for assistance?

Mcamnl

jim dungar said:
Ferrules are not termination devices. I don't believe that UL even has a standard that covers them. Of course, the crimp-on pin type connectors are a different animal and do have a UL standard.

Have you asked your ferrule supplier for assistance?

Yep. All they told me is that they are not UL listed.

sandsnow

The dumbing down of UL.

The field rep is there to make sure they are manufacturing the product per the agreement. He should be pulling the listing if there is a discrepancy the manufacturer won't correct.

If he doesn't know if they are listed he should know how to find.

Disheartening. The UL mark is approaching pay to play.

Mcamnl

Here is what I got from a UL engineer this morning.

1. 14ga. wire or smaller
2. Control Circuits Only
3. Internal wiring only
4. No ferrules on field wiring
5. Need to get a quote and add it to our file

Seems kind of odd that there is nothing called out in their code book already.
I guess I can save a little time putting together panels.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.