UL Listed & Voltage-Radio characteristics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc6po

[h=2]Topic moved from Safety...UL Listed & Voltage-Radio characteristics? :[/h]
Not very famliar with all this NEC/OHSA/NRTL stuff, but I have read quite a lot, and still I can not find a satisfaying answer to this question.
I understand some stuff round safety...In Brief...
- NEC defines the rules for eletrical safety
- OHSA order (and control) that NEC rules are applied in workplaces
- In workplaces, UL Listed equipement shall be used to futfill OHSA requirement
- In non workiplace location others (AHJ/inssurance/distributor) may require to use UL Listed equipement.
- UL Listed in non workplaces is almost a marketing "nice to have".

What I can't figure out, is When do I need by product to be UL -Listed
- OHSA requires electrical conductors and equipment to be approuved : is electronic included within electrical?
- do electrical stands for anything pluged in mains and connected to electrical distribution?
- are battery powered products also considered?
- is there a voltage limit? I saw 50V-5mA once.
- Seems to me USB Mouse is not UL Listed, neither a Wireless mouse...
- So what are the keypoints to know if you got to be UL Listed?
- Connected to mains?
- Voltage & Current ?
- Use of radio function?
- Use of battery?
- Is that always up to the NRTL to decide wether your product presents some hazard and hence require to be listed?
Thanks​

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
UL is not the only organization to list equipment, NRTL is the correct terminology.

In Washington we are under WISHA not OSHA, similar rules. Our state electrical law has required listed products since 1935. Where it gets fuzzy is for plug in devices, since the NEC is mostly for wiring and not utilization equipment, but there are listing requirements for cords etc in the NEC.

Your question is broad in scope. However I suspect many gov contractors (like nuclear labs) have very definite specs on listing, that information is in the public domain and you'll need to dig it out

sc6po

My intent with this question was to "clarify", but in theses regulations terms, words have quite some importance...
I knew that there were may NRTL.
But shall we say UL Listed, NRTL Listed, MET Listed?
To me, all NRTL Listed were in UL Database. Is that true?

OHSA - WISHA : I knew that there were many "local deviation"... My intent was to make a difference between NRTL requirement mandatory (work) and volontary (household). But I understood things were much more complicated.

In fact, you could answer this way:
Shall the product below be NRTL listed ?

- USB Mouse : No
- BLE wireless Mouse : No
- Talkie-walkie : Yes du to use of specific licenced frequency bands
- Small wifi Switch (Cisco RV130W) => No? (did not found one) ==> 12V * 2A < 50W
- Laptop : Yes? Volontary or mandatory (19V * 3.5A > 50W)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

In fact, you could answer this way:
Shall the product below be NRTL listed ?

- USB Mouse : No
- BLE wireless Mouse : No
- Talkie-walkie : Yes du to use of specific licenced frequency bands
- Small wifi Switch (Cisco RV130W) => No? (did not found one) ==> 12V * 2A < 50W
- Laptop : Yes? Volontary or mandatory (19V * 3.5A > 50W)

Keep in mind this is an electrical code forum, dealing with building wiring...probably not the best place to ask your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.