UL listing for custom built outdoor signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwebb

We are a small (but growing) jurisdiction with a lot of specialty contractors jumping on the growth bandwagon. There are a few 'Sign Companies' in town that are manufacturing and installing all types of signs, with and without electrical.
My question is, do we need to require that these electrical signs (backlit with flourescents), enclosures and electrical to be UL listed and do they need to provide us with the appropriate UL listing to be used? (600.3)
OR---Does the shop itself need to be a 'UL shop', with their own UL certification......OR---Do we need to require that they have third party certification and/or listing of their assembly?
We are still on the learning curve here and would appreciate some enlightenment!!

sandsnow

Re: UL listing for custom built outdoor signs

All signs are require to be listed unless you (The AHJ) give permission in writing otherwise. If a sign is lit with an external light source, then nop listing would be required. If the light source is mounted on or integral to the sign body, then yes it needs to be listed. Outline lighting is not usually listed nor is it normally required to be. They do need to use listed components.

I see you put "custom signs" in your subject. Every sign is custom. Manufacturers have a cookbook type standard to build to. Don't let them tell you UL does not list custom signs. That many times means they don't want to make the effort to make the product comply.

For info on how a sign shoulkd be marked start here: UL guide info for signs

and here: UL sign page

If you have a question as to whether a sign is listed, you can call UL. If someone tries to pass off a sign as listed (with a UL mark) you can and should turn them in to UL via a field report. Digital pictures help.

Go here for info on field reports: Field Report Page

Also I should mention that ETL does some listing of sign products.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.