UL Listing of Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewl35

I have a running arguement with someone I work with. Where in the code is it stated that a box must be UL approved?

Thank You

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Re: UL Listing of Boxes

What kind of "box"? A box as defined in the scope of Article 314?
What type of enviroment? A Chapter 5 hazardous location?

haskindm

UL does not approve anything. They list them. The Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) approves things. See 90.4 in the NEC. The AHJ will usually base his approval on the UL Listing, but he does not have to.

iwire

Staff member

For some uses a box must be UL listed.

If you have a box with concentric knock outs containing 480 volt circuits you must use bonding bushings unless the box is listed for bonding through the KOs. 250.97 Exception.

Need to place a box in a wet location?

It would need to be listed for the purpose. 314.15

Typical boxes are not NEC required to be listed but your AHJ may want them to be listed.

hewl35

The box in question is a home-made extentsion to a ESCO 13.8 kV air insulated link box. Currently the connection is made through a pothead which we are trying to eliminate do to leaking of the potting compound. This is a temporary affair which are replaced with SF-6 gas sectioning switches.

haskindm

The bottom line is that the box will have to be acceptabe to the AHJ. I stand corrected in that 314.5 does say that a box used in a WET location must be listed as suitable for the wet location, however that does not mean that the AHJ MUST approve a listed box. It just means that he cannot approve a box that is not listed for the location.

[ August 08, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: haskindm ]

websparky

It just means that he cannot approve a box that is not listed for the location.
Please read 90.4 "By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety."

This means the AHJ may approve something that is not listed.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by websparky:
It just means that he cannot approve a box that is not listed for the location.
Please read 90.4 "By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety."

I agree they can but I have never seen one do it.

Special Permission. The written consent of the authority having jurisdiction.
Has anyone out there been provided with written special permission?

In my area that written permission would come from the State and not the local inspector.

haskindm

I guess that means I was right the first time! I need to quit while I am ahead.

websparky

Hi Bob,

'Round these parts it happens from time to time. Usually after a major screw-up by the contractor and it gets crazy to try and fix the problem to the letter of the code.

hewl35

Thanks for all the replys. I work for a state agency and this question had the state inspectors stumped for a couple of days. The ruling from the state electrical engineer was I can make the adapter box but an engineer has to grunt their approval before it can be accepted by the state. However the state inspectors have made it pretty obvious they would like another solution to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.