UL Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbartsch

1. When code for "listing", must it be UL itself, or can it be any nationally recognized testing laboratory (NRTL)?

2. If a UL standard doesn't exist for a given fitting or equipment, can a NRTL test to other industry standards?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Re: UL Listing

1.Yes you are correct listing is by a qualified testing lab (NRTL). UL, as good as they are, is not the only game in town. Your state may have regulations on acceptance of testing labs, Washington State maintains a list of qualified testing labs and who can do what type of tests.
2. If a standard does not exist...I don't know for sure, but a lab could develop a standard, or they can do field evaluation.

lbartsch

Let me present and example. A cellular company uses certain pieces of electronic equipment (RF combiners, coaxial connectors, etc.). They are not normally covered by a UL standard but there may be industry standards such as Telecordia, EIA/TIA, etc that set the safety requirements and testing criteria for that device. If an NRTL tests the devices to those standards (which are usually more stringent than UL), I can't see why an AHJ would object.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

I install a lot of radio equipment. I have not seen any that is listed. Same for traffic signal equipment, I work on and write an electrical column for a traffic signal magazine. There is no listed traffic signal equipment. the inspectors don't require it, the industry does not want it.
I can't answer your question about the standards from EIA and such. Its really up to the AHJ...

teckert

OSHA maintains a list of their Nationally Recognized Test Laboratories. The list includes the standards to which the lab may test.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/index.html

Be aware that just because a lab is Nationally Recognized, it doesn't mean that they are authorized to provide Listing for every product. Each lab is only authorized in areas where it has been determined to be competent.

lbartsch

the problem is more related to the standard to which a device or component is tested (assuming the NRTL is qualified to test to that standard).

UL doesn't have standards for everything, particularly some forms of telecom equipment and components.

Where UL standards are not available, an NRTL has to test to something. In the telecom industry, it is the Bellcore (Telcordia) standards (i.e. GR-487).

Yet some will not accept this as "listed".

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Why are you concerned that AHJ's would have anything to say about such things as RF combiners and coaxial connectors? These are not electrical items and do not come under the NEC so there would be no listing. There is no safety concern.

dereckbc

Staff member

lbartsch, being a former employee of SBC and MCI, Telcordia (formerly known as Bellcore)specifications are for equipment being installed in RBOC facilities only. It is a company requirement for equipment manufactures to be awarded equipment contracts. Other telco's can use those specifications if they choose to do so, but it is not a listing agency.

As mentioned earlier this type of equipment is not under the jurisdiction of the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.