UL/NEMA CMC Type A, C, or D coordination

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I'm familiar with Type 1 and Type 2 coordination for motor starters and contactors but what is UL/NEMA CMC Type A, C, or D coordination?

I'm putting together an ABB softstart system and trying to select the protection for it. Their table lists UL/NEMA CMC Type A, C, or D coordination. What the heck is it? See link below:
https://applications.it.abb.com/SOC/Motor

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Type A = Fuse + motor starter where the fuse provides the SC protection for the entire motor and starter, i.e. the starter MUST have the fuse to withstand any fault current.
Type C = Thermal-magnetic circuit breaker listed under UL-489 protecting a starter listed under UL-508A.
Type D = Instantaneous trip circuit breaker (aka "MCP") listed under UL-489, with starter same as above.
Type E = Self-Protected Control Device (aka Motor Protection Circuit Breaker or "MPCB", "Motor Protective Switch" or "MPS", etc. etc.) used with a contactor, both listed together under UL-508
Type F = Manual Self-Protected Controller listed under UL-508, which is a single device that is the SCPD, controller and OL in one, no contactor.

wireman

Type A = Fuse + motor starter where the fuse provides the SC protection for the entire motor and starter, i.e. the starter MUST have the fuse to withstand any fault current.
Type C = Thermal-magnetic circuit breaker listed under UL-489 protecting a starter listed under UL-508A.
Type D = Instantaneous trip circuit breaker (aka "MCP") listed under UL-489, with starter same as above.
Type E = Self-Protected Control Device (aka Motor Protection Circuit Breaker or "MPCB", "Motor Protective Switch" or "MPS", etc. etc.) used with a contactor, both listed together under UL-508
Type F = Manual Self-Protected Controller listed under UL-508, which is a single device that is the SCPD, controller and OL in one, no contactor.

Perfect. That's what I needed.
Thank you very much.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I didn't check into the details of that ABB site, but be aware that many Soft Starters are only going to be Type A, meaning they MUST have the fuses per their UL listing. The same is true for some VFDs as well. That's why sometimes you see a "combo" starter with a soft starter and a CB but has a set of fuses too. The fuses are required because that's the only way they were listed with UL.

wireman

I didn't check into the details of that ABB site, but be aware that many Soft Starters are only going to be Type A, meaning they MUST have the fuses per their UL listing. The same is true for some VFDs as well. That's why sometimes you see a "combo" starter with a soft starter and a CB but has a set of fuses too. The fuses are required because that's the only way they were listed with UL.

I think fuses will required in my case because per ABB’s manual the thyristers aren’t warranties unless semi-conductor fuses are used.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think fuses will required in my case because per ABB’s manual the thyristers aren’t warranties unless semi-conductor fuses are used.
That's not unusual, but what always strikes me as funny about that concept is that the only thing that can make those semiconductors fuses clear, is if a thyristor has ALREADY failed! In the 20+ years I have been dealing with soft starters, I have not ONCE seen a semiconductor fuse protect anything. All that happens is that you lose a thyristor, then you ALSO lose a very expensive semiconductor fuse!
:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.