UL not needed for industrial eq?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of a volunteer remodel we had a 10HP air compressor installed in our local fire department. This monster is a built-to-order unit and clearly not something you'd buy off the shelf at HD. The electrical inspector is holding up our final because the unit has no UL sticker. The company that sold/installed the unit claims that the inspector doesn't know the code but they can't tell me the section under which they claim to be exempt. My electrician isn't familiar with it either.

Any ideas?
TIA
Peter

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: UL not needed for industrial eq?

Peter, what state are you in?

The unit itself would not be an NEC issue.

Roger

sandsnow

A compressor is a simple motor circuit.
Any competent electrical inspector should be able to apply Article 430 and inspect it.

Thanks for the responses, I'm in Washington state.

[ January 20, 2006, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Peter Lovejoy ]

Brinkmann

I believe UL 1450 addresses compressors and vacuum pumps. Normally these are the Home Depot 115 volt type for home use. I don't know of any manufacturer of "industrial" type compressors who manufacturer to this standard. Sometimes they (an inspector) will try to apply a standard to equipment that is not readily available. I would ask them to provide the UL standard they are asking you to meet.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

perhaps he wants a UL listed control panel. that is not uncommon these days. the equipment itself is not listable as far as I know.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

There are very few areas in the NEC that require equipment to be listed by a recognized testing lab.

Many inspectors incorrectly apply 90.7 and 110.3 to say "all equipment must be listed". Note however, many states have their own codes which may require listing on more equipment than is found in the NEC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

In this area (TN) we would be looking for a NRTL (UL or 3rd party) on the electrical control cabinet, as Bob said.
But, from my experience, if it is a simple as a starter/disconnect-pushbutton arrangement, the inspector often approves.

I worked for one of the metron areas for a number of years. They enforce NRTL listings. The first phone call to the equipment mfg. normally had a "huh?" response. Followed later by "Oh!, You're one of THOSE!"...followed by a 3rd party listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.