UL Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark master

I'm looking at a plastic switch plate cover, and it has the little UL symbol.

What about device screws, are they UL approved as well ?
What if I take out the short screws, and install 3" long screws for a marble back splash? Do I need to get UL approved screws ? :?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You don't have to worry about the screws but if your box is that far back you will need a box extender of some type.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager

What about device screws, are they UL approved as well ?
What if I take out the short screws, and install 3" long screws for a marble back splash? Do I need to get UL approved screws ? :?
I think you can no longer use something like a drywall screw for such extensions, which works pretty conveniently with plastic boxes, has to be machine thread screw, this would be from NEC

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Sorry, edit to say I misread the OP.

Switch plate covers supplied screws are probably part of the listing.

Device screws, supplied with the device are also probably tested and evaluated with the device under it's rating.

However, I agree that most "fasteners" are not listed by a NRTL. The classic example has already been given above . . . the lowly ground screw for enclosures is not listed, nor does it have to be colored

Last edited by a moderator:

kwired

Electron manager
I'm looking at a plastic switch plate cover, and it has the little UL symbol..

Sorry, edit to say I misread the OP.

Switch plate covers supplied screws are probably part of the listing.

Device screws, supplied with the device are also probably tested and evaluated with the device under it's rating.

However, I agree that most "fasteners" are not listed by a NRTL. The classic example has already been given above . . . the lowly ground screw for enclosures is not listed, nor does it have to be colored

If said screws are critical to the listing, they should be mentioned in the white book shouldn't they?

Last edited by a moderator:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
If said screws are critical to the listing, they should be mentioned in the white book shouldn't they?

IF they are critical . . .

Depends what the actual NRTL standard says, along with any other requirements from other regulatory sources.

Turn it around and consider how one would evaluate a cover plate or device without the fasteners it is designed to be installed with?

kwired

Electron manager
IF they are critical . . .

Depends what the actual NRTL standard says, along with any other requirements from other regulatory sources.

Turn it around and consider how one would evaluate a cover plate or device without the fasteners it is designed to be installed with?

We discard the screws that came with the device and use those that come with a raised cover, unless those have been lost, then we use whatever we may find that will "get 'r' done"

Status
Not open for further replies.