UL sticker on illegal product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

I have a medical cabinet that has an internal GFCI receptacle fed with a cord that needs to attach to a J box. The cord would be buried behind the wall and the box enclosing the GFCI is riveted closed. There is a UL sticker on this unit. How did this get approved. Is this legal?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a medical cabinet that has an internal GFCI receptacle fed with a cord that needs to attach to a J box. The cord would be buried behind the wall and the box enclosing the GFCI is riveted closed. There is a UL sticker on this unit. How did this get approved. Is this legal?

Its hard for me to tell from your description but is it possible the thing is being misapplied? Could be the product is not appropriate for this particular installation.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It's getting pretty hard to forge a UL tag. They now even have a wallet card that you can carry that's got a little window in it so you can tell if the tag is real.

But I agree to bring up your concerns with UL the are very good about making sure that their labels are being used correctly. I had one that I questioned and UL ended up revoking this lighting manufactures approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.