UL508A_2 66.11.2 Emergency Stop on enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just learning about panel design and have gotten a copy of UL508A rev. 2. I have a question regarding item 66.11.2 which says that if an enclosure has buttons or selector switches it shall have an emergency stop button. Seems pretty cut and dried to me, but the place I am working doesn't include e-stops on such panels and they are currently being UL labelled by an outside source. Is there some exception to this part of the standard that I am missing? I am asking partly because I have never seen a panel like this WITHOUT and estop button. Note: the panel is marked as having incoming power supplied by customer, is there an exception there?

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

raider1

Staff member
Is the industrial control panel being built to supply industrial machinery?

66.11.2 Falls under Industrial Machinery in 508A.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is the industrial control panel being built to supply industrial machinery?

66.11.2 Falls under Industrial Machinery in 508A.

Chris

I concur with this assessment. If it is not a control panel for an industrial machine then the whole section that applies to control panels for industrial machines does not apply. Are also sections of the standard that only apply to irrigation panels oven controls Etc. They only apply to those type of control panels.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
This is another example of chasing definitions from one specification to another that make our jobs difficult.

Per UL508A, are control panels used in the wastewater treatment industry considered industrial control panels?
Is poop considered ".....process material" per the NFPA-79?

Per NFPA-79's section 3.3.56 Industrial Machinery (Machine):
A power-driven machine (or a group of machines working together in a coordinated manner), not portable by hand while working, that is used to process material by cutting; forming; pressure; electrical, thermal, or optical techniques; lamination; or a combination of these processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.