UL864 Fire Alarm printers

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Does the current fire alarm code require a printer connected to the FACP carry the UL 864 Rating? They are much more expensive than a normal printer, if possible I would like to save some money here.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
A quick search found this printer: https://www.autocall.com/uploads/resources/Datasheets/AC4190-0011.pdf?t=1694354251
Specs include "Serial RS-232, USB, or parallel communications interface RS-232 communications and AC input are transient protected UL listed to Standard 864"
Picture is of a standard-looking 24 pin dot matrix printer...
However-
An important line in their (and other) ads is that the printer is "listed" for use with fire alarm systems... which, to my way of thinking, adds a few hundred dollars to the price of an otherwise fairly standard printer!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
A quick search found this printer: https://www.autocall.com/uploads/resources/Datasheets/AC4190-0011.pdf?t=1694354251
Specs include "Serial RS-232, USB, or parallel communications interface RS-232 communications and AC input are transient protected UL listed to Standard 864"
Picture is of a standard-looking 24 pin dot matrix printer...
However-
An important line in their (and other) ads is that the printer is "listed" for use with fire alarm systems... which, to my way of thinking, adds a few hundred dollars to the price of an otherwise fairly standard printer!
Is that a surprise to anyone? You're spending what, $100,000 or so to get your UL approval and how many units are you selling per year? We've sold 2 since 2021. Nationally, that's not a lot of units to amortize the added costs.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Does the current fire alarm code require a printer connected to the FACP carry the UL 864 Rating? They are much more expensive than a normal printer, if possible I would like to save some money here.
Good question, I am no expert check with your AHJ.
taking a quick look at NFPA 72 a printer would fall under "Textual Visible Notification Appliance". I think an argument could be made that a "Textual Visible Notification Appliance" is not a necessarily "Control Units for Fire Protective Signaling Systems", however a product could be both.
Just becasue someone sells one thats listed does not mean its required to be listed in every application.