Unburied Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
We all know that Landscape lighting cable needs to be buried at least 6" (if it's buried). What if it's not buried? Are there any requirements? I can't find any. Seems like it ought to be a violation to have it laying on top of the ground next to the sidewalk, but I can't find anything that prohibits it.

Thanks,

Mark

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Lok at Art 411 and see if that describes your system. If so see 411.5(D).

Volta

Read once in the accompanying instructions to cover with a maximum of 6 inches . . .

I don't think that english was the first language for that writer!

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Lok at Art 411 and see if that describes your system. If so see 411.5(D).

I read all of Art. 411 before posting. We're still on NEC 2005 and it doesn't have a 411.5(d). Is there a new part in 2008 I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Mark

480sparky

I read all of Art. 411 before posting. We're still on NEC 2005 and it doesn't have a 411.5(d). Is there a new part in 2008 I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Mark

From the '08:

411.5 Secondary Circuits.(D) Insulated Conductors. Exposed insulated secondary circuit conductors shall be of the type, and installed as, described in (1), (2), or (3):
(1) Class 2 cable supplied by a Class 2 power source and installed in accordance with Parts I and III of Article 725.
(2) Conductors, cord, or cable of the listed system and installed not less than 2.1 m (7 ft) above the finished floor unless the system is specifically listed for a lower installation height.
(3) Wiring methods described in Chapter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.