Underground 4/0-4/0-2/0 aluminum service wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
electrical contractor
We installed underground RHH-RHW wire from the pole to 200A box then continued that into the 200A service panel inside Inspector turned it down, stating 300.3 in table310.104(A) Also 300.18 shall be installed complete between outlet, junction,or splicing points prior to the installation of conductors. Your panel and meter base are certainly splice points and or junctions. The conductors in question are carrying unprotected current and without a disconnect, other than pulling the meter.
This under ground wire was coated and crushproof 600V rated 2 hour fire rating. 90deg C. . RHW cables can be used for raceway, duct, direct burial, and aerial installations. These wires are suitable for installation in raceway, duct, direct burial, and aerial installations in accordance with National Electric Code and other general-purpose wiring applications.
We then installed three wire 2/0 copper and he turned that down also stating the same code above
we see no difference in Applications. 4/0 AWG Aluminum XHHW/ XHHW-2 wires are primarily used for power distribution; and are sometimes referred to as feeders. They may be used in wet or dry locations with conductor temperatures not exceeding 90°C and may be used in conduit and recognized raceways as specified in the National Electrical Code. Need your advise please

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So you went from a meter with these 3 conductors to the service panel. Is that correct? Where is the service panel in relation to the exterior of the house? Am I correct in assuming this is a home? What code cycle are you using?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
4/0 aluminum is good for 180 amps at 75C which is fine for a residential service-- 200 X .83= 166 amps.

If it is a feeder than you need 4 wires but the size is still compliant if the load is calculated at 180 amps or less.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the meter is on the pole and there are 3 direct buried service conductors between the meter and the junction box? From the JB into the service panel there is a raceway with 3 condcutors in it?

Occupation
electrical contractor
This a single family home meter is on the house and right behind is the service panel insi the underground wire as mentioned comes up in conduit to meter box and we had the same wire go from top of meter box in conduit direct in to service panel

This a single family home meter is on the house and right behind is the service panel insi the underground wire as mentioned comes up in conduit to meter box and we had the same wire go from top of meter box in conduit direct in to service panel
I am still not totally following what is going on. Is the inspector saying you can't run service conductors through a meter socket? Or is he saying they can't be direct buried? Are they direct buried? They would need to be also marked as type USE-2 to be direct buried.

Occupation
electrical contractor
as I stated in the beginning We ran an underground wire RHH-RHW, from the pole to the house. with came up through the ground in conduit to and into the bottom the meter box then inserted the same RHH-RHW, wire from the top of the meter box into the the service panel through the LB The question was He did not allow the the same coated crushed proof wire to the service panel. stating " 300.3 in table310.104(A) Also 300.18 shall be installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points prior to the installation of conductors. Your panel and meter base are certainly splice points and or junctions. The conductors in question are carrying unprotected current and without a disconnect, other than pulling the meter".
we removed that and replaced the spliced 3 wire with #2/0 three wire copper to the service panel and he violated it with the same code.

Occupation
electrical contractor
He approved the meter at the house He questioning we can not use the same underground wire into the service panel quoting this code. This inspector is noted to give a lot of my electrical competitors with the same nonsense I need your opinion before reporting him to the State John LaRussa

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So this cable is direct burial and his issue is it should not be used inside the home. He is correct

(B) Underground Service-Entrance Cable.

Underground service-entrance cable (USE) shall not be used under the following conditions or in the following locations:
  • (1)
    For interior wiring
  • (2)
    For aboveground installations except where USE cable emerges from the ground and is terminated in an enclosure at an outdoor location and the cable is protected in accordance with 300.5(D)
  • (3)
    As aerial cable unless it is a multiconductor cable identified for use aboveground and installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with 225.10 and Part II of Article 396

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, come on that is ridiculous. That is like saying you can't use wire marked THHN/THWN (which is like every conductor) in a wet location.
I agree but the inspector isn't seeing it like that and if you take the words literally I don't know how you can argue successfully as long as the wire is marked USE. It is BS I agree but could it be that use marked rhhw doesn't have a vertical flame rating?????

Status
Not open for further replies.