underground conduit size

Status
Not open for further replies.

genefleagle

A relative of mine is proposing to install 2500 feet of 2" conduit for a private electric line in Metal Township, Franklin County, Pennsylvania that will service a residence/vacation home. Several calls with Penelec have achieved the following results for anything they install it will have to be 3" conduit. The only portion penelec will install will be the line from the transformer pole to the meter base. Penelec has stated that they don't care what is installed from the meter base to the residence since it will be a private line, however it should meet NEC codes.

Can 2" conduit be used for underground electric service for a private electric line?

celtic

Re: underground conduit size

Considering the inevitable voltage drop...you might just want to make it 4".

How many amp/volt service are we talking about?
200A and 120/240V?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by genefleagle:
A relative of mine is proposing to install 2500 feet of 2" conduit for a private electric line ........................

Can 2" conduit be used for underground electric service for a private electric line?
It could be but it will not be much of an electric service.

I assume this is a 240/120 service which would require 3 conductors.

The NEC says we can jam three 250 Kcmil THWNs in 2" schedule 40 PVC. For now let forget that to make that work you will need a shoe horn.

Assume you friend uses copper conductors.

With just a 60 amp load you will have about 5% voltage drop.

125 amps of load will result in about 10% voltage drop.

If you are digging 2000' feet of trench and expect to get large enough conductors pulled in with out a pull point (man hole) every 100' or so I would recommend 4" raceway with a 2" for the phone.

Or you could go with DB conductors. :p

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

This appears to be a Do-It-Yourself situation. I am terminating the discussion, in accordance with Forum rules. If I am mistaken about the "relative" being a DIY, then please send me a private message. I will then re-open the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.