underground residential service 2oo amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a 2 meter meter pan for a 2 family home. Is there different meter pans I can get because I am limited as far as space is concerned. I want to use direct burial cable but dont know what type and at what depth. Also running alongside a driveway into my backyard to power pole, what are the code requirements.

charlie

Re: underground residential service 2oo amp

Jimmyjames says he is a journeyman electrician who is not familiar with residential work and the Code. I assume he is an industrial electrician and has learned the "plant rules" but not the NEC requirements.

We will take him at his word that he is a journeyman electrician. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Yep, but if you are an electrician, then you should know how to look up code rules.

pierre

Tom
We all believe that electricians should be able to look up the code requirements, but the reality is not there.

As an instructor who gets to see 15 to 20 different electricians every day, I have learned that the real job of instructors in our industry is to help the everyday guy/gal in our industry to understand how and why the code is. Not to belabor the fact that they should know, because 90% really don't. For various reasons their time is limited in the book. They may not have the reading comprehension skills necessary for the level of the writing. They were not taught the proper procedures, etc... There could be many reasons.

Lets not forget where we (who think we know how to read the code :) ) started. And if we do have the level of knowledge we think we do, lets spread the wealth and help others.

Sorry for the preaching, but I am in a mood tonight.

bill addiss

jimmyjames,

Requirements and approved equipment can vary. Your best bet would be to consult with a local Inspector and someone from the PoCo.

Bill

haskindm

In our area the meter can is supplied by the power company. You have no choice but to install what they provide. Article 300.5 gives the "Minimum Cover Requirements" for underground installation.

bill addiss

In contrast. The EC Buys the Meter Enclosures here. He must choose one from a (short) list that's approved by the PoCo. (Manufacturers have special models specifically made for use on Long Island)

Some towns here have rules relating to termination of Aluminum conductors and the PoCo has specific rules regarding Service installations that they want followed too.

Bill

allenwayne

i have seen only minor difeences in a 200 amp meter can . Now go to 400`s that1s a whole nother ballfield :D A contradiction nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

bill addiss

We have no approved 100A Meter Enclosures anymore. The std. 200A is 13" wide, rated OH/UG, with Lever Bypass and an extra bonding lug.

Bill

Thank you to everyone who tried to help!!! and to those who critizized lighten up, you only live once!!!! I got the answers I needed, type USE cable for underground service, Millbank model 2gang meter, and I was told to go 3ft below grade. The meter pan is the only one approved by my power company. I have to purchase it at $450.00. and it measures 24 wide by 34 high, its huge.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by charlie:
Jimmyjames says he is a journeyman electrician who is not familiar with residential work and the Code. I assume he is an industrial electrician and has learned the "plant rules" but not the NEC requirements.

We will take him at his word that he is a journeyman electrician. :)
Not to pick on Charlie, his post just outlines my thought well.

I wouldn't walk into his plant and try to do things unsupervised and untrained.

Just because he has a J-man's license, he can?

It may be a blow to the pride, Jimmy, but you might consider working under the supervision of someone in the know, and come here when questioning your teachings, as opposed to learning how to wire a house from us.

No offense intended, but you know what I mean? :)

friebel

I would like to make a Positive reply for the Industrial Electrician. The company that I worked for, and they are a large Chemical company started out about 30 years ago and they gave a code book to every electrician on the plant. (130 men)Then they brought in a Certified Code Instructor and each electrician received a three-day up-date on the code.
The Company followed updating the electricians at every code change.
Also we have a AHJ come on our site and inspect all of our big project installations.
As you can surmise, this made for a more knowledgeable electrician and the work installed was by the code. I am not aware of any other big companies that allow an AHJ come on their site for inspection. I know it made me a better all-around electrician.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

friebel,
I agree with you to the extent that I have seen some industrial concerns provide extensive training to their personnel and thus turn out some exemplary electricians, however, in my experience, their area of expertise is focused to the type of work they encounter daily. Likewise I have seen some knowledgeable residential electricians that can not make a saddle bend in conduit. In each case, the individual may be highly qualifed in their respective area, but have not had the opportunity to work in the others man's arena.
The best, experienced, residential electrician would probably be lost in your plant working on your MCC or 13kv switchgear.
From my experience in inspecting, the reverse scenario also takes place. Some of the installations I see that are wrought with code violations are residential where "uncle Frank", the plant master electrician, has done the wiring.
Unfortunately, as wise as he is, in his daily work he has not run NM cable, never seen a "stack-it" or encountered a specific spacing requirement for receptacles.
Although I'm sure they exist, the man (or woman) who performs with equal proficiency in both arenas is rare.

As a side note, despite some of the comments made about inspectors, I feel they deserve a great deal of credit as most have to have knowledge in most all areas of the Code.

william runkle

Whatever type of electrician he is or we are, we all have to communicate but some are better then others, some can write down precisely that all of us understands and others we just scratch our heads and wonder? My mind goes a lot faster then my fingers on this keyboard and I skip and miss so just be patient with all of us.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by augie47:
Likewise I have seen some knowledgeable residential electricians that can not make a saddle bend in conduit.
Present! :D

As a side note, despite some of the comments made about inspectors, I feel they deserve a great deal of credit as most have to have knowledge in most all areas of the Code.
"The" Code? A lot of the inspectors around here are switch-hitters: They are knowledgable of several codes, not just the NEC! ;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

opps ! :)

even MORE CREDIT to those

(I was once asked about obtaining Building Inspection certification to accompany my electrical, but, since the dog house I built fell down, I thought that might be a lil hypocritical.)

Status
Not open for further replies.