Underground service entrance expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcat555

Mentor, Ohio (25 miles east of Cleveland)
Occupation
Retired Electrician IBEW Local 38
I understand the use of a slip joint device before entering the bottom of the meter housing, but in a case where there is future ground settling what keeps the wires inside the conduit from becoming taught and causing a problem?

This is a legitimate question that gets asked quite a bit on jobs. What some will do is try to leave some kind of slack in the meterpan. It is not easy, as the terminations are at the top of a bottom fed meter, with not too much spare room in most meterpan designs.

lpelectric

Depending, of course, on the style of metering enclosure, I require the Line-side conductors (Source) to be installed entering the lugs at the top-most entrance to the lugs and the load-side conductors to enter their lugs at the bottom-most entrance in the lugs. "Top to the top, bottom to the bottom" is our rule of thumb. This goes a long ways toward providing enough flexibility and length of conductor to provide strain relief. :smile:

iwire

Staff member
lpelectric said:
I require the Line-side conductors (Source) to be installed entering the lugs at the top-most entrance to the lugs and the load-side conductors to enter their lugs at the bottom-most entrance in the lugs.

Require?

Where does the NEC give you the option of requiring this?

lpelectric

iwire said:
Require?

Where does the NEC give you the option of requiring this?

Replace the word "require" with "insist until I get pressed too hard, then have to give in". :smile:

One poco we have in the area actually has drawings depicting this exact hookup. That one is actually enforceable thru the inspection agency's contract with that poco.

iwire

Staff member
lpelectric said:
Replace the word "require" with "insist until I get pressed too hard, then have to give in". :smile:

Now that has to be one of the most honest and direct answers I have read here in a while. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.