Underground Tornado Shelter Feeding Power To

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

I have to get power to an underground tornado shelter that has 2 - 2" threaded hubs welded into the top of it. One of the threaded hubs will be used to run power from the house and the other hub will be for an extension cord that will go to a portable solar generator. Can someone please recommend some "Best Practices" for getting conduit to the surface and ensuring that water stays out of the conduit and ensuring that a tornado does not damage the portion of the conduit that emerges from the ground? Once the shelter is in place a 28" thick concrete slab will be poured on top of the shelter and then a storage shed will be built on top of the pad. So theoretically the 2 - raceways can emerge from the ground into the shed. However in the event that a tornado removes the shed the raceways will be exposed to rain and also damage from flying debris. I am wondering if 2" RMC and then a heavy duty weatherhead on top of it. Perhaps emerge only about a few inches from the ground? Then put a steel box over it?

Thanks for the great help as always.

Ravenvalor

That's exactly what I pictured as I read your post, except for a cover box.
You came to that conclusion faster than I did. I was first thinking about an LB and a PVC junction box. LOL

A concern that I have about the metal weatherhead is that they seem to be made so cheaply now a days. That's why I thought that I may have to cover the whole thing with a steel box.

Thank you.

mbednarik

Occupation
Electrician
Bring it up into a hand hole, make sure to use plenty of pearock around the hand hole, you can even go so far as to bury a bit of 4" perforated tile to ensure drainage. Bring you feeds into the ground box. Then your shed can get knocked off the face of the earth and your utilities will be fine.

Ravenvalor

Bring it up into a hand hole, make sure to use plenty of pearock around the hand hole, you can even go so far as to bury a bit of 4" perforated tile to ensure drainage. Bring you feeds into the ground box. Then your shed can get knocked off the face of the earth and your utilities will be fine.
The customer is wanting to run an extension cord from a solar generator through one of the raceways into his storm shelter after a storm has passed. My concern with the hand hole is that there has to be some opening for the extension cord.

Thank you,

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The customer is wanting to run an extension cord from a solar generator through one of the raceways into his storm shelter after a storm has passed. My concern with the hand hole is that there has to be some opening for the extension cord.
I would recommend a hardwired inlet and outlet instead, like one would install in a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.