unequal voltages in panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Hi, unequal voltage readings usually means a loose contact of the neutral. We've all encountered that many times. But a new subpanel I installed has readings of 122 volts on one lug and 119 v on the other. Is that enough difference I should be concerned? I haven't checked voltage in the main panel yet. Thank you.

iwire

Staff member
Hi, unequal voltage readings usually means a loose contact of the neutral. We've all encountered that many times. But a new subpanel I installed has readings of 122 volts on one lug and 119 v on the other. Is that enough difference I should be concerned? I haven't checked voltage in the main panel yet. Thank you.

It's not even worth thinking about until you know the incoming service voltages and with just three volts difference I would not bother checking the service voltage.

kwired

Electron manager

Unequal loads on each ungrounded conductor will yield unequal voltages because of voltage drop in the conductors. Remember you have loads on the service and other feeder conductors or in some cases even other services on the same supply that will contribute to this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.