Unexplainable constant electronics damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GITRDUN

Ok here is the latest update in the saga. I havent checked the thread much at all since hiring the investigator so sorry i havent kept up.

The investigator was held up at the airport by US customs and was not allowed to bring his equipment into the US for whatever reason. So the trip was cancelled at that point and i later told him to just cancel it all together. I had been checking into other local industrial buildings to possibly move to if we had to. After i canceled with the investigator i went with plan B and imediately began negotiating on another building which we now have only to sign the legal papers to purchase.

In the mean time our problem has completely gone away. As of Nov 20th we have not experienced a single incident. We have not went an entire 30 days without having an average of 3~4 cuircut board failures during power up for at least the last 4 years or as long as i can remember. Sometime in mid Nov i had my electric tech check the amp draw on our main compressor and our backup compressor as i had a feeling our backup was more efficient, which it was. So at that point we stopped using the main compressor and began using the backup which is also located in another seperate building. I was also told that sometime in Nov the POCO had found and repaired a major problem with one of the main lines feeding our part of the town. Which of these two solved our problem i dont know. I suspect the air compressor but i do not have the courage to fire it back up and see what happens. I figured if i can go a bit longer with none of the same problems then i can say for sure its gone and i will have someone check the installation of the main air compressor.

So at this point i am going to delay signing papers on another building until i know for sure our problem is gone for good.

And for the record about 4 years ago the main air compressor was moved from inside the building into an outbuilding which had to have electric service brought into it to power the compressor. This is something that i had not really thought of until recently when the problem went away. Also the air compressor is the first thing switched on in the morning and the last thing switched off at the end of the day. How voltage can get into the machines with power switched off i still dont know but if the compressor is at fault then that could explain the timing of why it was happening while the machines were off. It probably was hitting when the compressor was either switched on or switched off would be my guess.

mike_kilroy

Thanks for the update.

I bet on the POCO problem - enough so if it was me I would fire up that other compressor just to prove it to myself.

Cheyenps probably hit it on the head with the POCO issue in post #12....

We had similar issue at our small offices here in OH for a summer; we would get power line flickers that would weekly take out a desktop computer. After blowing about a dozen, we finally bought UPSs and put on each one and stopped blowing the computers. Lots of discussions with the POCO - FINALLY found the reason: tree limbs randomly hitting the hi voltage lines along the 4 miles of road poles - from us to the 3ph "disruptors" up on the pole in series with our power feed. These disruptors job was just that: to disrupt the power when a short happened downstream. So until they trimmed those trees, we had constant daily surges - and the POCO said that is exactly how these things are supposed to work!

GITRDUN

Benn running the main compressor for a week now and no problems. So at this point it looks to be almost certainly the POCO problem that was the culprit. I was told that the problem they found was a bad ground searching for neutral. Imagine that.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Benn running the main compressor for a week now and no problems. So at this point it looks to be almost certainly the POCO problem that was the culprit. I was told that the problem they found was a bad ground searching for neutral. Imagine that.
More likely a bad neutral and significant current flowing in the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.