Ungrounded grounding type receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozo

My son and his wife recently purchased a home in Lenexa, Kansas. The home was built in the 50's, recently renovated (flipped) and currently has a mixture of 2 and 3-wire 120V branch circuits, with probably all circuits feeding receptacles still 2-wire. However, all receptacles are grounding type (3-wire). The home was inspected prior to purchase and the ungrounded (as well as unmarked) receptacles were noted but deemed acceptable due to the age of the home. There are no GFCI breakers in the panel and while there are GFCI receptacles in the kitchen (I believe also ungrounded), none of these GFCI's appear to be protecting the other recepts. per Art. 406(D)(3)(c). Similarly, I found ceiling light fixtures on these same circuits with no ground. Is it likely that a local authority would deviate from the NEC in what appears to me to be a dangerous manner, or is it more likely the inspector is misinformed?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Simply speaking, 3-wire receptacles must either be properly grounded, or protected by GFCI's and labeled. Plus, any non-grounded grounding conductors that exist should not be conneected, even between receptacles.

bozo

Simply speaking, 3-wire receptacles must either be properly grounded, or protected by GFCI's and labeled. Plus, any non-grounded grounding conductors that exist should not be conneected, even between receptacles.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you 100% that these are the code requirements. I was wondering if it was possible that a local authority would overrule the NEC on something this important. I just thought of a question about an ungrounded GFCI. Would the test circuit of an ungrounded GFCI operate properly? I would think the ground is required for testing.

raider1

Staff member
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you 100% that these are the code requirements. I was wondering if it was possible that a local authority would overrule the NEC on something this important. I just thought of a question about an ungrounded GFCI. Would the test circuit of an ungrounded GFCI operate properly? I would think the ground is required for testing.

Keep in mind that a GFCI receptacle does not require an equipment grounding conductor to function properly. The only recognized test of the proper function of the GFCI device is the test button on the GFCI.

After market testers that rely on an equipment grounding conductor to test a GFCI device will not function on a 2 wire ungrounded circuit, but this is not an indication that the GFCI device is not functioning properly.

Chris

bozo

Keep in mind that a GFCI receptacle does not require an equipment grounding conductor to function properly. The only recognized test of the proper function of the GFCI device is the test button on the GFCI.

Chris

Thanks for the answers. I mistakenly thought the GFCI internal test circuit might be line to ground instead of line to neutral. I appreciate everyones' help.

bozo

Another related question. My interpretation of Art. 250.114(3)(a) is that an EGC is required for a refrigerator receptacle and to protect with a GFCI breaker on an ungrounded circuit is not sufficient, which I wish it was. Was hoping to avoid rewire by replacing 2-wire circuit breakers with GFCI's. Is my interpretation correct?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I mistakenly thought the GFCI internal test circuit might be line to ground instead of line to neutral.
Nope. The GFCI itself has access to the grounded conductor ahead of the current-sensing loop, which the plug-in tester does not.

The only thing the GFCI needs to be grounded is a supply conductor. Without that, the GFCI won't work (nor be needed, in theory.)

Status
Not open for further replies.