unit heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulrb

I am the base electrician at an Air National Guard base. My safety officer and I are in disagreement about whether or not the NEC allows me to suspend my control conduit from the natural gas line that feeds a unit heater that is suspended from the ceiling of a warehouse. If it makes any difference the control voltage is 110, the gas line is black pipe and I plan to use back to back minnies. Paul

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: unit heaters

I would ask him for a code reference. I can't find anything in Article 300.11 that would prohibit this. We normally make the final connections with type MC cable and cable tie it to the gas pipe. Some may argue that since the unit is hanging in fee air and can move, than a flexible wiring method may be required which would prohibit the use of EMT.

benaround

I read 300.11(B) as the only time it can be used as a support.
Also,I don't think minnies are identified for back to back use.

frank

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by benaround:
Iwire,

I see the EMT as supporting the gas pipe,--or nonelectric equipment.

JMO frank
Hey you might get away with that if if I was a new to the world. :D

In my opinion it would be a very rare occurrence that EMT was able to support a larger threaded pipe.

jimwalker

I believe it's a building code that one trade can not use the other trades to support each other.I would not chance the liability of attaching to another trade.Are you governed by NEC and building codes ?

ryan_618

Originally posted by jimwalker:
I believe it's a building code that one trade can not use the other trades to support each other.I would not chance the liability of attaching to another trade.Are you governed by NEC and building codes ?
Everybody is governed by a building code.

I don't see any rule in any code (particularly the Fuel Gas Code) that addresses it.

[ June 22, 2005, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

charlie

In my opinion, it would be a cheesy installation and a mess if the gas pipe needed to be replaced or tapped into for some reason. I don't know of anything that would prohibit the installation except for workmanship and common sense. :D

allenwayne

Come on Jim 3m stackers they are listed for securing to framing members and can hold alot of nm :D ,P.S. if you use the kind made for furring and back to back them then you could hold 2X that ;)

jimwalker

I sure hope it's legal cause i used there 2x4 to hold my plastic box too. ;)
I do recall being told not to use the unistrut holding the plumbers pipe to hold my conduit.Was told it would fail.We can't use the ceiling guys grid wire to hold our mc

[ June 23, 2005, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

Status
Not open for further replies.